The tale of my old ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKnurd

Reaction score
First off, I'll just say I'm just venting on this one. I'm choosing to believe this was just an isolated incident until proven otherwise. :D

Brewed an old ale in mid september. Fermented for a month, final gravity was steady, and just under target (1.021 vs 1.023). Bottled mid october and then three weeks later, gave the first one a try. Carbonation was on the light side, and obviously very young. When cold, you got very little aroma. Once it warmed up to where it had a nice aroma, the alcohol came through a bit too much. But anyways, no worries, its young and needs a good bit of aging.

Opened another right after thanksgiving, so another 3 weeks in the bottle (6 total) to check on progress. Aroma definitely better, alcohol presence mellowing.... definitely making progress. Still low on carbonation, but not badly so.

Opened on tonight.... and 5 minutes later was able to pour it in a glass. This was my first uber-gusher.

Anyways, I'm just gonna chalk it up to a bottle with a little something funky in it that just kept working. I have a hard time thinking that a beer that was just getting close to properly carbed at 6 weeks then proceeded to go well past carbed and into beercano land in the following 3 weeks. Oh well, only time will tell.

That is all, story-time over.

I've had the random bottle-toa eruption here and there... It happens. Hope for the best with the next one you open. If that one gushes, worry then.

yeah, that's my thought as well. took a lot of willpower not to just go open a warm one just to see what would happen. ;)

VICTORY. Chilled another for a few days as a test of whether everything needed to go in the fridge pronto or not.... this one is quite good. And not overcarbed. :D

So definitely gonna chalk the beercano up to a rogue bottle.

Back