Secondary brett at what temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
I conjured up a 1.076 Old Ale using the Wyeast 9097, Old Ale blend of sacch and brett.

I fermented right in the 68-75 degree range Wyeast recommends. Two weeks later, assuming my Sacchies have finished their job and conceded the rest of the work to the Bretties… does it matter at what temp I bulk age in secondary?

Meaning, does that recommended temperature range of 68-75 apply to both the Sacchs and the Bretts, or can I trust the Brett do its thing in my basement @ 64 degrees, or even in my garage this winter at anywhere from 60 down to 40?

That's what I figured too.

I am concerned about eventual bottle bombs though. I plan on keeping it in secondary over the winter, and I want to make sure that I'm allowing the Brett to finish its work before I go to packaging and then later find my precious old ale laquering my basement floor this summer when it hits 70.

For the record, I contacted wyeast and asked the same question. This is the response I got:

"The Brett strains will work at lower temps. As for long term aging, I would look at the range of high 50s to mid 60."

So... there you have it. 2 points for dwarven_stout. Hooray.

Latest posts

Back