Bayou Classic Banjo (KAB4) assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together this Bayou Classic Banjo burner from AHS but the instructions that came with it don't match the model I got (plus the hose is missing but that's another story). There isn't much to figure out but there is one spring included that I have no clue what to do with. Anyone know what the included spring is supposed to do?

I did find the online version of the manual at this link but it appears there is nothing that matches my model exactly since all the options at this link don't help either. Mine looks like the pictures for cast iron but that one has no instructions.

My guess is the spring goes between the burner and the air intake shield and is held in place by the brass hose connector (for the hose I didn't get). Just not sure.

don't know that burner specifically, but the propane burners with springs that I have used have the spring providing tension on the air shutter disc plate to keep it in place instead of screws holding it to the burner body. Sounds different than what your guess is.

It looks like the piece that controls the air flow is the shutter. It also looks like the brass connector is normally attached to the hose, but mine is a separate piece. I assume the shutter is connect to the burner via the brass connector since nothing else will make it stay. The only piece left then is the spring, which I guess goes between the burner and the shutter.

So far this is a terrible experience with my dive into all grain.

I was in a store yesterday that had turkey fryers. I looked at their models and it looked like the spring was somehow on both sides of the shutter. I'm not even sure how I'd install it that way. I wanted to try and take a closer look but the sales guy was hovering over me.

I will try to take some pictures and upload them. It has to be painfully simple and I assume loads of people have this burner.

Yeah. I tried calling the company and got a receptionist, but no one picked up when she tried to transfer me. I'll probably call again tomorrow morning.

the one you saw on the sales floor was setup wrong.

the spring definitely goes between the air 'plate' and the burner air orifice. all it does is provide enough tension so the air plate can't freely spin around while the burner is in use.

I have two turkey fryers, one is the next step up from yours (KAB5) and this is how the instructions have you install that spring.

I have the kab6 and this illustration was on a seperately attached paper. The air plate goes right up against the burner, then the spring then the orifice tube. When it said and done, it can be tightened until sping is pretty much almost compressed. It should be visible.

I just got the replacement hose (thank you AHS) and the instructions were in that package with the hose. JesseRC is correct. Here's what it shows.

The shutter goes right up to the burner. The spring then goes on top of the shutter. They put the wide part of the spring against the shutter. Next comes the brass fitting which goes through the spring, then through the shutter, then screws into the burner intake. The hose then attaches to the brass fitting.

Thanks for all the folks explaining that. I got the SQ-14 and thought I was missing the screws.

Would it be so hard for them to update the printed instructions or even (gasp) the web site.

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you! My KAB4 arrived instruction-less so I wasn't sure where the spring went. Thanks!:mug:

Back