Fermentation chiller lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yusupov

Reaction score
I have built a version of the Son of Fermentation Chiller, and wanted to know if anyone has successfully brewed a lager using one of these??? and what temps they fermented and lagered at???

Grats on your new build, yusupov! I haven't but I'd push for around 40 'F and something with flavor.

I have one and I just lagered an Oktoberfest at 40*F for three weeks. Needed 2 frozen gallon jugs each day almost. Just changed them out in the morning everyday (2 in the freezer, 2 in the chamber)

i built a very large one(holds 12 carboys) and i pump fluid from a frezzer through a aux. radiator cooler with a fan. before i had plumbed it i was using 2 gallon milk jugs with glycol/water mix (the glycol absorbs more cold energy) and it worked fine.

i built a very large one(holds 12 carboys) and i pump fluid from a frezzer through a aux. radiator cooler with a fan. before i had plumbed it i was using 2 gallon milk jugs with glycol/water mix (the glycol absorbs more cold energy) and it worked fine.

sounds interesting... any pics?

That is a good idea with the glycol, I am going to do that. Does it take a little longer to freeze the glycol/water mix? and roughly what percentage is the mix?

I have one and I just lagered an Oktoberfest at 40*F for three weeks. Needed 2 frozen gallon jugs each day almost. Just changed them out in the morning everyday (2 in the freezer, 2 in the chamber)

Nice one! that sounds like a fair amount of work (all the freezing). Let me know how the Oktoberfest turns out.

Does anybody have some good tips for making the son of fermentation chiller as cold/well insulated as possible? i saw somebody put little cat flaps over the intake and outtake holes, I am not sure how much that would help though.

thanks,

sorry no pic's of the chamber yet its ruffly 8' length by 34" deep and 36" tall with a split lid. I was using a 50/50 mix of glycol/water in my jugs and thats is what i use now. I plan to convert to :tank:Panatherm LR fluid soon.

Nice one! that sounds like a fair amount of work (all the freezing). Let me know how the Oktoberfest turns out.

Does anybody have some good tips for making the son of fermentation chiller as cold/well insulated as possible? i saw somebody put little cat flaps over the intake and outtake holes, I am not sure how much that would help though.

thanks,

How much room do you have and how many carboys/kegs at one time?

How much room do you have and how many carboys/kegs at one time?

I have a spare room with a decent amount of space. I made the chiller just big enough for one carboy (a little smaller than the son of fermentation chiller plans) so that there is a smaller volume to keep cool.:mug:

i saw somebody put little cat flaps over the intake and outtake holes, I am not sure how much that would help though.

That would not. The barrier between the ferm side and ice side doesn't need to be too well sealed because it's really the outside temp you want to keep out. The biggest tip I can give would be to buy the thickest insulation you can find and make sure those cuts are square so your seams are true.

Another option would be to buy insulation half as thick as you want and use two layers. That way you can stagger your seams. Even your corner seams, if you have one side abutt the other on the first layer reverse that on the second layer. Your door could even be made that way so the insulation would be "stepped" and that would make it a little more efficient.

Back