Christmas for my husband

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjane

Reaction score
HI guys. My husband is an avid reader of your forums, and no I'm not telling you who he is, but he respects your opinions, and who knows maybe if I'm lucky he'll respond to this post.

I want to get him some custom bottle caps for christmas, and labeling stuff so when he bottles up his home brew they look good. My problem is that whole he has a brewery name, I don't think he's developed a logo yet, and other than a color scheme, I don't know what he would want on his caps or labels. I found Crafty Caps to do custom caps and printable labels. Crafty Caps will help me with the designs for the caps, and I figure I can do labels from there, but here's my question:

Would you rather have the caps and labels in hand even if they weren't exactly what you wanted them to look like, or would you prefer the idea and gift certificates to do it yourself after christmas?

Thanks!

An appreciative wife.

What if you did caps in a color scheme of his brewery, such as a sold cap with a stripe or dot on it, or maybe even the brewery's initials.

I personally, dislike gift certificates and think that he would really appreciate a gift that while may not be perfect, but you put though into it. The sentimental side may be more valuable the utility.

I think what you are proposing would be an awesome show of support to his downward spiral into this addiction.

I too have a brewery name, that seems to change frequently, but do not have a logo or label design (I stopped bottling to keg) but, if my wife winged it with the name and created her own interpretation on the label design, I'd definitely go with it (at least until the supplies ran out) with a ****e-eating grin.

Hip Hip to you Mrs. Appreciative Wife.

PS "Just in case": ;) Huney I love You. :D

Unless he specifically asked you for caps and labels, there are other, better brewing related presents out there. There is nothing like actually opening a real present, so you definitely want to get him something tangible and not a gift card.

When it comes to bottling beer for competitions, your caps can't have makrings and your bottles can't have labels. In addition there are other methods discussed on the forum for making cheap labels using a home printer and some paper etc. All in all I don't think caps and labels are the brewing gift to go with...

That's a pretty awesome idea. I know I'd like the gift either way. If your husband is good with graphic design and is going to come up with his brewery name, I'd go with the gift certificate. If computers and artwork aren't his thing, go with one of the premaid designs. There are some fairly cool options in that category.

Good luck.

Well, you could get the labeling stuff and instead of getting logoed caps, just find some nice colored ones. Maybe save enough money to get something else too. That way you don't have to wonder if he wanted the logos on the cap or the gift card, AND he gets something nice he can use (guys like stuff they can use).

BTW - If this is you hun, I want a set of different kinds of pub glasses, a bottle of Pliny the Elder, and a stick.

BTW - If this is you hun, I want a set of different kinds of pub glasses, a bottle of Pliny the Elder, and a stick.

Hahhahaa, Nice.

BTW - If this is you Sarah, don't get me a gift certificate. I don't know my logo yet, so just do something creative and it may end up being what I want (or at least a good place to start)!

...someone is getting a quiz this afternoon.

LOL, every married guy on the forum is hoping that this gal is his wife.

Whoever you are maryjane, your husband is a lucky guy.

By "stick" I really hope you mean a brew/wort paddle...

I'm all for the thought put into it rather then a gift card; I also agree there may be better gifts for a home brewer, but you know your hubby better then us :)

it is true that I know there are better gifts for a homebrewer, but he is SO picky about his equipment that I'd hate to mess up something I was spending that much on. Plus he's been giving bottles of his home brew to a lot of people lately as thank yous or general gifts. That's what inspired this idea.

I too am wondering what you mean by stick. I have lots in my backyard that I'd be happy to send your way :)

My wife got me this for Christmas last year. Skunktown Brewery was born. I love it!
What every you do, he'll like that you're taking interest in his passion.

3795d1198757533-what-did-santa-bring-beer-sign-2.jpg

Before being renamed to Sergeantsville, the town we live in was called Skunktown.
Guess the new residents didn't appreciate the name :eek:

Plus he's been giving bottles of his home brew to a lot of people lately as thank yous or general gifts.

Crap. I guess you're not my wife then. I haven't given any bottles out in a while.

Good luck getting that "perfect" gift. I'm sure he'll enjoy it, especially considering the research you're putting into it. :mug:

First off, you are great! I am very jealous as I'm sure most of the other readers are. If you were my wife, the best gift would be that you were taking an interest in what makes me happy. What ever it is that I opened up on Christmas morning is great.

Here are some alternative ideas though. What if you were to do the majority of the leg work with the labels and caps, and maybe have several ideas for him to choose from and make it a project that the two of you could do together?

Another idea that you could go with are personalized glasses. My sister got me a set from "Red Envelope" with my initials engraved in them, and to this day, they are the first ones I reach for when I go to either open a bottle of some of my saved brews or if I'm going to pull one from the tap. Either way, same glass....

Or finally, in today's economic condition, money may be a bit tighter. The best gift you could give would be to offer to clean up for him on brew days for the year. To me, that would be better than anything! Or I suppose a close second to this would be to bottle the beer too. I hate those two tasks more than anything!

As a person who has had hobbies that my wife has not had a lot of interest in I am envious of your hubby! You rock, Maryjane!
I think he would totally be thrilled with caps and labels, so I think you should stick with that idea. If he's a reader here he'll know that it was truly your idea, and that you came up with it out of love for him. That'll make him a happy man.

Here's me and my situation. I have a brewery name but I don't currently use it much. Or ever. I do enjoy making my own labels for each batch. However, if it were me I would be thrilled to get some professionally made caps and labels for christmas even if they weren't exactly what I was looking for. For me, it's the thought that counts.

The stick is probably a mash paddle. but knowing Homercidal, it probably is an actual stick.

Oh and if this is my SWMBO, don't do it because I just bought some perlicks and shanks ;) It will take me FOREVER to go through all those caps!

I know this ain't my ol' lady. She'd sign up over here to see what she could get for my brew gear!

What kind of capper does he have? If he has a wing capper, perhaps a super agata bench capper would be better. Maybe one of the bench cappers can chime in. I use the poor man's wing capper. :-(

Just one man's opinion here, but I don't think you want the Krafty Kaps. When I looked into it, they were unprepared to handle the quantity I wanted to order (which was only a couple gross) and I got the impression that they were just stickers printed out and stuck on the caps with a coating of shellaq. I for one wouldn't have high hopes of the coating holding up through the crimping process.

The only place I could find that offers custom printed bottlecaps that didn't require ordering by the pallet was that bottle cap fishing lure company, and I didn't get around to asking them if they could just send me the printed bottlecaps without folding them up into a lure.

Just an FYI. If anyone knows different, I'm all ears.

The caps arrived Yesterday! I'm so excited thank you all for your help.

I'll let you know the result!

I'm late to the party but the idea is awesome!

My wife just had my first beer and actually liked it. That was a gift in its own. She usually on drink BMC so her liking the IR was so cool I almost couldn't contain myself.

Thank you who ever you are for embracing his hobby and new found love.

Hey everyone!! I happened to be the lucky husband.... and SWMBO did a GREAT JOB!!! The caps are really amazing. I'll have to get a pic taken and posted so you all can see it!! Thanks for helping her!

Back