breckenridge trademark pale ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their website is full of details, try plugging it into promash/beersmith and see what you can come up with. I haven't had it, so I can't help too much.

Demanding beer for demanding beer drinkers -- that's our Pale Ale.

We craft this American pale ale with hearty amounts of pale and Munich malts, then balance it with lofty amounts of hops throughout. It's a finessed version of hop-head fun -- a black diamond beer without the bumps and dangerous curves.

Beer Style: American Pale Ale
Flavor: Moderate maltiness with sweet floral hop character
Yeast: Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts: Two Row Pale, Munich, Caramel
Hops: Perle, Wilamette, Bramling, Fuggle, Czech Saaz
Color: Deep Golden
Bitterness Units: 40
Alcohol By Volume: 5.7%
Alcohol By Weight: 4.56%

The hop varieties are a pretty weird combination. It might also be worth emailing the brewery, many craft brewers are happy to hand out a few extra details to homebrewers.

i spent some time formulating a recipe so far from the details on their web site, and I have came up with this (below). if anyone thinks it needs adjusting, please let me know.

8 lbs of 2 row
2 lbs of american munich (dark)
2 lbs of crystal 60l

now, oldsock, the hops are a bit crazy. and my local homebrew supply shop only has fuggle and wilamette. they also have sterling which can supplement for saaz. they have cluster to substitute for perle, and they do not have bramling, nor have i found a substitute yet.

i am going to mess with the hop schedule now.

here is the final first stab.

(6.5 gallon collect, 5.5 ferment) 60 minute mash in the high 140's

8 lbs of 2 row
2 lbs of american munich (dark)
2 lbs of crystal 60l

My local home brew supply shop has only 2 varieties. The two they have are:

Fuggles
Wilamette

The substitutes they have for the others are:

Sterling for Saaz
Cluster for Perle
Kent Golding for Bramling (I hear Bramling has great characteristics include a lemon zestiness which I can pick up in the Trademark and resonates with me well!) In lieu on the Goldings I thought Cascades might work just as well, and hopefully fill more gaps that Bramling would bring.

My home brew shop only allows 4 ounces of hops per 5 gallon batch, so my first estimated hope schedule is:

Willamette, pellet, 4.6%, 1 oz, 45 minutes
Fuggles, pellet, 4.0%, 1 oz, 40 minutes
Sterling, leaf, 7.0%, 1 oz, 10 minutes
Cascade, Leaf, 7.4%, 1 oz, 10 minutes

That = 40.5 Ibu. A bit higher, but allows me to use all of the hops rather than store them and risk deteriorzation.

My yeast interests are either WLP001 or US-05.

If you have any suggestions or modifications I would be greatly appreciative.

Willamette is a Fuggles cultivar, and are so similar that the differences will be undetectable in such a melange. Ironic. ;)

I wouldn't sub Clusters for Perle, nor Goldings for Bramling Cross. Totally unlike. Cascades aren't a sub for anything on the list, and are such a dominant flavor that you need to avoid them entirely in this beer; they'll overpower the much more subtle flavors from the other varieties. Cascades are, shall we say, unsubtle.

Listen, we all like to support our LHBS. But if they can't do what you need them to do, go online. Go somewhere where you can get the ingredients you need to brew the beer you want. If you brew a bodge job, you won't be happy with the results. You're already starting well behind the power curve because you're trying to replicate a beer for which you have no real recipe. Now you want to start subbing ingredients? That's like racing that Jamaican sprinter with you on crutches. Just some friendly advice. :)

You've got twice as much Crystal as you really need. 2 pounds will result in a cloyingly-sweet beer. A pound should be sufficient. If you need to make up the gravity contribution, replace it with Pale malt, or half Pale, half Munich.

I think you'll have a better ferment with US05, unless you're equipped to make a starter for your White Labs vial. Pitching the packet of dry yeast is much closer to a proper pitching rate than one of those hopelessly inadequate vials. (I really like White Labs yeast; I just wish they'd give you enough of it to pitch correctly!)

Cheers!

Bob

Ditto to what Bob said on the hops and crystal malt. Although if you are going with US-05 I would up your mash temp a few degrees, I find it to attenuate better than the liquid equivalents.

thanks bob for the friendly advice. i will agree with you on the point of support for the lhbs and venture online to see about those hops.

i had emailed the brewmaster last night with pretty much the same recipe as above. theyll probobly think im way off as well, but will post any reply I receive.

Back