Need/Want An Opinion On A New Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I am brewing an Amber ale later, and I would really appreciate some input. This is my first attempt at something like this, and I'm not sure how the grains will go together. Here is what I have :

3 1/2 lbs Lt DME
2 1/2 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Carafoam
1/2 lb Crystal 20L
1/2 lb CaraMunich

1 oz. Brewer's Gold
1/2 oz. East Kent Goldings
1/2 oz. Willamette

I am using washed yeast (My first attempt at this, also)

This is going to be a partial mash. I have run this through Beersmith, which gives me a lot of info, but even that is limited. Any and all help/input would be great. Thanks

I think it's going to be pretty tasty!

How close to BJCP style do you wish to be? Both IBU and color are going to be a bit light for style (if you're using Brewer's Gold for the main bittering charge).

American Amber Ale is a really easy style to nail. Grist is quite simple to design, and you need American hops. Basically, AAA is American Pale Ale with more crystal/caramel malt character and less assertive bitterness. If I were you, I'd replace the 20L Crystal with 60L and leave the rest of the grist alone. I'd also go 100% Willamette hops, but I really like Willamette. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

For my taste - 6 gallon batch I like 12 lbs 2 row + 1 lb 60L Crystal and for hops Chinook, Nugget, or Columbus for bittering and Cascades for flavor and aroma. 40 IBU total. Mmmmmm.

Looks fine to me, when are you going to add the hops?

I'm adding them in the listed order, Brewer's Gold @ 60 min, Goldings @ 15, and Willamette @ 5.

I had to tweak the recipe a little, due to the fact that I'm an idiot and forgot to check my stock first. Now, I am going with 3 lbs. EACH of DME AND Marris Otter, 1 1/4 lb Carafoam, and 1/2 lb 120 Crystal. Everything else remains the same.

Latest posts

Back