DIY Hopstopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I have a new keggle that I have been using for a while. I use an immersion chiller and after chilling I have basically been whirlpooling to settle out the hops and trub and then siphoning out the wort. I see the pictures of some people who use the same method and get a really nice trub/hop cone at the bottom of their kettle. I am not really getting that and it is have been having a lot of trouble with my siphon tube clogging. Does anyone know why this would happen? How long do you need to whirlpool to get that nice cone? I have been whirlpooling for about a minute and then letting it settle undisturbed for 20-30 minutes.

So, basically, I really like the hop stopper. I really don't like the price, so I want to build one myself. But I am debating it. On the one hand it will be cheaper, but on the other, I can't return it if it doesn't work out. My IC is already right at the top of the wort, and I am wondering how the hopstopper will effect the way it will sit in the kettle.

I saw the pictures on Bobby's website: http://www.suebob.com/brew/equipment.htm and saw that he said he had trouble with the 60x40 mesh clogging when used with a lot pf pellets and the cold break. Does anyone know what size screen the hop stopper uses? Would the 30x30 mesh work better?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Fry Pan Spatter Screen = $1.00 @ Dollar Tree or $4.99 for a set of 3 (different sized) @ WalMart, Target, Cosco, etc...

Stainless Steel fishing line from Bass Pro $3.99 / 50ft spool + shipping (if needed) - Also try other fishing and tackle shops and look in the salt water fishing areas.

OR

You could try using JB Weld. Manufacturer claims it's Non-Toxic but does not have it NSF or FDA approved for food surface contact.

It can be made a LOT cheaper than the manufactured product but, you may have to make a few to get the right size, shape, and attachment configuration.

I use the famed hop bag as seen in various places here on HBT (look for the photo's) in combination with a homemade hop stopper. But then, I also use a plate chiller and don't want to risk having it plug up with debris needlessly.

I just bought a hop stopper last week, and it works awesome! I had my doubts at first, but zero clogs(I use a cfc). I was tired of using the old homemade hop bag, this thing is really worth the money. I looked at the mesh, and it looks amazingly similar to the mesh on a tea ball that I got at wal-maet for dry hopping. If that helps.

I tried a homemade hopstopper for a while, but I like the suspended hop bag much better. I get the cold break into the fermenter, but that doesn't really bother me as it doesn't affect the beer. FYI - I never had much success whirlpooling either.

I tried a homemade hopstopper for a while, but I like the suspended hop bag much better. I get the cold break into the fermenter, but that doesn't really bother me as it doesn't affect the beer. FYI - I never had much success whirlpooling either.

I am considering the hop bag too. I would like to keep as much of the cold break out of the fermenter, not that it really matters, but it just seems to make harvesting yeast easier.

I am also interested in any kind of home made hopstoppers; I am making a brew this weekend with some whole leaf hops (and hop pellets) and would like to keep them out of the fermenter.

I have an extra braided hose from an old mash tun, any reason this will not work?? Will it clog more easily with hot break/hop pellets?

Neal

p.s. I can never get a whirlpool to work correctly either

Make a hop bag.

I've used a mesh screen around my wort chiller.
I've whirlpooled.

The suspended hop bag is cheap and easy and gives you crystal clear wort in the fermenter.
HopBag1.jpg

HopBag3.jpg

HopBag6.jpg

clearwort1.jpg

I made a similar hop bag to biermunchers and hated it. I don't think your hops utilization is as good, and who knows what's leeching off of the pvc. It works for a lot of guy's but not me.

I made a hope bag like that too, and I love the thing! Not only do I use it for my hops, but I also use it to "filter" my wort as I drain my Keggle. I just run my wort through the bag, because I just have a pick up tube that goes right to the middle of my keggle and I don't do anything to stop any of the break material to go to my fermentor.

By the way....BM, that is one Gnarly looking Keggle! You're not kidding when you say that you're junk is ugly!

I have a similar hopsack. Last batch I was only putting in an ounce of pellets, so I didn't use it. I tried whirlpooling for 60 seconds of stirring, then letting it sit for 8 minutes, but seemed to not work. Instead I put a grain steeping sack on my siphon tube (I use autosiphon, sack strings and opening are up out of wort). I soaked the sack in my starsan first, wringing it in that bucket several times to be sure it was clean.

It worked okay, and when it clogged I just moved it around a bit in the sack (hold top of sack, hold tube, move around, restart autosipon...

Towards the end of the siphon I tilted my kettle and was constantly working it to keep a flow, but I got nice clean wort (ironically it was a hefeweizen).

The PVC doesn't come in contact with the wort at all.

While the nylon bag does come into contact with the boiling wort, personally I have bigger things to worry about than the potential for a minute amount of some chemical leaching from a plastic mesh bag.

Things like; keeping a two your old living, Obama or McCain becoming our president, Spider Mites, salmonella in my store bought tomatoes and my gas bill.

Make a hop bag.

I've used a mesh screen around my wort chiller.
I've whirlpooled.

The suspended hop bag is cheap and easy and gives you crystal clear wort in the fermenter.

BM, does that contain pellets or do you use leaf?

I just used the Bag for the first time the other night and it worked great with whirlpooling afterwards. I ran the line back to kettle after the CFC to get a good whirlpool going and had a nice small cone of break. I think next time I am going to run the line back into the bag and see if it works for straining, and if that is any better/worse.

My hop bag is similar, but even more low tech:
- 1 gallon paint strainer
- 12-14 inches of bare copper wire.

made a loop 3 or 4 inches in diameter with the wire, "thread" the loop around the mouth of the paint strainer. Since the wire is flexible, I can adjust to the right height/angle and hang excess "tail" from the wire over the side of the boil pot.

I've used it on several boils without issue.

BM, does that contain pellets or do you use leaf?

The super cheap paint strainer bags at HomeDepot (pack of 3 5 gal bags for like $5) do an excellent job of retaining 98% of the pellet gunk. My break cone definitely had a green hue to it, but it was only a cup or three of material total. The bag had a good quart and a half of hop sludge.

I am also interested in any kind of home made hopstoppers; I am making a brew this weekend with some whole leaf hops (and hop pellets) and would like to keep them out of the fermenter.

I have an extra braided hose from an old mash tun, any reason this will not work?? Will it clog more easily with hot break/hop pellets?

Neal

p.s. I can never get a whirlpool to work correctly either

I used to use a braided hose and it was fine back when I had a crummy wort chiller. I built a much more efficient chiller, and the braid would always plug up with break material. You are better off finding another solution.
Now, I use the screen off from an 8" stainless colander folded over my dip tube and wired shut with copper wire. Works great, but keep in mind that I only use whole hops, not pellets.

I use to use a stainless braid, but it kept clogging. I the switched to the stainless steel srucbby.....you know the ones for srubbing dishes. When I assemble my BK it just goes on the end of my dip tube.

Does that work with pellets? How about pellets with break material (using an IC)?

Just finished making this for brew day tomorrow. Is there any reason not to use wood instead of PVC or metal? I have a 1x1 about a foot long.

Latest posts

Back