Central Coast homebrew club? Beer swap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started brewing, (3rd day of fermentation on my first batch) I live on Vandenberg AFB near Lompoc/Santa Maria. Anyhow, I'd be down to find some local people who are doing this.

Right on, Demaskee. I'm about to get round three going. It's a fun hobby for sure. Just an FYI, Doc's Cellar in SLO is a great homebrew supply store. I'm not sure anything is down that way. I live up in Cambria. We'll have to keep this thread alive and eventually plan a meet-up. Cheers! :mug:

It's funny you mention Doc's. I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow to get some stuff for my next batch and hopefully glean some knowledge.

I just started brewing, (3rd day of fermentation on my first batch) I live on Vandenberg AFB near Lompoc/Santa Maria. Anyhow, I'd be down to find some local people who are doing this.

There is a brew club in Santa Barbara, though I haven't gone to any events or joined it yet.

IIRC it's called The Santa Barbeerians.

I THINK this is their site, but not sure, hope this helps.

http://santabarbeerians.com/

There is a brew club in Santa Barbara, though I haven't gone to any events or joined it yet.

IIRC it's called The Santa Barbeerians.

I THINK this is their site, but not sure, hope this helps.

http://santabarbeerians.com/

THanks! I may have to check them out.

I kegged my first batch a little over a week ago and brewed a batch of English Brown Ale from Doc's, as well as a 5 gallon batch of Honey Mead this past Saturday.

There is a club that meets at Doc's on the second Sunday of each month, the San Luis Obispo Brewers (SLOB's). We meet starting a 2 and go until we run out of beer. There are many good brewers and BJCP judges in the club if you are looking for feedback or information. Also there is a homebrew shop in Solvang, Valley Brewers they also have club meetings. The owners are nice and they have a decent selection. I know some SLOB's who live in the Lompoc and Santa Maria area that attend both clubs.

Happy Brewing,

Greg N.

There is a club that meets at Doc's on the second Sunday of each month, the San Luis Obispo Brewers (SLOB's). We meet starting a 2 and go until we run out of beer. There are many good brewers and BJCP judges in the club if you are looking for feedback or information. Also there is a homebrew shop in Solvang, Valley Brewers they also have club meetings. The owners are nice and they have a decent selection. I know some SLOB's who live in the Lompoc and Santa Maria area that attend both clubs.

Happy Brewing,

Greg N.

Sounds like a lot of fun. How welcoming are they to newbs?

Happy Brewing,

Greg N.

Would you guys be open to a guest from another club? I'm a board member for the San Joaquin Worthogs over in Fresno and would love to check you guys out if I get a chance.

Sounds like a lot of fun. How welcoming are they to newbs?

Very much so. George (the owner) is a kick in the pants. One son helps out at the store and the other son works at Tap It Brewery in SLO. Doc's isn't as clean or organized as some LHBS (Like the one in Santa Ynez, friends and ex-customers of George) but they have a good base of knowledge and enjoy talking brewing. Bring them a beer or two and you will be set for life....

Very much so. George (the owner) is a kick in the pants. One son helps out at the store and the other son works at Tap It Brewery in SLO. Doc's isn't as clean or organized as some LHBS (Like the one in Santa Ynez, friends and ex-customers of George) but they have a good base of knowledge and enjoy talking brewing. Bring them a beer or two and you will be set for life....

Good Stuff!

I'm about to keg an extract kit of English Brown Ale I picked up from Doc's and I believe it was George who helped me make sure I got all of the correct ingredients. I think I may have to hit up the next gathering. Perhaps I should pick up some coopers drops so I can come with a few bottles in hand.

Just brewed a rye ipa with my cousin and an iipa and cider a couple days ago

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Home Brew mobile app

Nice!

Hey fellas. Nick from Atascadero. Been to Doc's quite a few times now and I must say they are very friendly and knowledgable there. I have been disappointed a few times in their yeast selection, but I may have just showed up at a bad time. Don't know.

Either way I do enjoy creating a recipe and tossing it their way to see what they think. Always had good input. Sometimes I am stubborn and just do it my way, sometimes I take their advice. They don't take offense to my ignoring their advice though, and seem to want to provide good service.

As far as the central coast is concerned. Couldn't be a better place to be. For brewing.

Hi Nick, welcome. heads up for you in A-town: since Cayucos Ale House was shut down by their lame landlord (weekend-rental tenants complained about noise), they are planning on moving over to Templeton (and Baywood). They carry good stuff from Clown Shoes, Uinita, Goose Island, and others. And also have the occasional tap-takeover by select brewers.

And just an FYI to all, in Morro Bay, the Libertine Pub on the embarcadero carries a great selection of craft brews. And they have a solid game room upstairs overlooking the bay. If you are in town there, I highly suggest it.

Hey there folks. We do have a few points of interest here on the Monterey Bay. The local group is called Mash 831 and they hold a Spring and Fall home brew competition. Proceeds go to good causes. Last Fall, the Wounded Warriors benefited. Another event is scheduled for April 2014 (it's not too late to make that award winning brew).
Anyway, if you're interested the URL is:

http://mash831.org/

And I want to give a SHOUT OUT to Duane at "Bottoms UP" Homebrew Supply in Seaside Ca. Duane, the proprietor, is a VERY knowledgeable brewer and offers awesome gear and grains to our small community.
Duane's at:
1143 Echo Ave.
Suite C-2
Seaside, CA. 93906

Latest posts

Back