Nothing but light under microscope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTB

Reaction score
I just started using my microscope, I put some yeast slurry on a slide and tried to look at it under 400x and seeing nothing but yellow.

I've tried to focus as directed (started with 4x objective, moved to 10x, then 40x). Played with the condenser, coarse then fine knob. Nothing but bright yellow.

What am I doing wrong?

I believe all the lenses are in place and the objectives are all attached. I was able to look at a hair successfully.

038.jpg

039.jpg

Do you have the condenser up to the slide or do you have it lowered 2/3 to all the way down? You need it lowered to see the yeast. Too much light will wash out the yeast and you can't see them. Then start with your lower objective and work your way up. You should be able to see them. :mug:

Looks a lot like my scope. So you could see a hair okay, right? Most likely that means too much light. On the 4x objective you will need to be "barely on" on the rheostat. As you go higher in mag you will need to turn up the light.

Close down the iris in the substage condenser. Then get rough focus by looking for the edge of the coverslip (low power) while moving the stage around. This should bring them up. Focus in low power and adjust the iris and lamp intensity for best contrast. Now switch to a higher power objective and if it is parfocal you should be pretty close on the focus.

(The following question is serious- I used to teach H.S. Biology) Perhaps it needs to be asked if the OP has used a microscope before.....these things aren't exactly consumer appliances.

Agreed with the others that there is likely too much light. In my Amscope the light intensity is not adjustable, but the diaphragm is. With it all the way closed and a 4x objective you should be able to focus on the protein trub only using the coarse adjustment. Once that is in focus you'll want to focus the light and adjust the light direction. There is a video link on my blog that shows this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-hemocytometer-to-assess-viability.html

Latest posts

Back