whats wrong? help me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
the other day i kegged my blonde and left it at 30 psi for 2 days. i then turned it down to 10 psi and poured a glass and it was all pretty much foam. my first thought was that it was over carbed so i cut the gas off and left it. i checked it periodically to release pressure but there was no pressure. its been a couple of days with no gas on it but its still comming out really foamy and i cant figure out why. the kegerator is set at 38 so everything is cold. any thoughts?

recipe is pale,crystal 10,and honey malt

what kind of setup have you got on your system? multiple regs to multiple kegs? One regulator with T's or distributors to individual kegs? Is this a new setup or has it worked in the past with properly carbonated beer? How much headspace do you have in your keg? Just cutting the gas off won't do anything if you don't purge the pressure in the system. The check valve on the regulator will keep the gas from bleeding back down to 10 PSI when you dialed it back, from that point to when you tried releasing the pressure, it was still sitting with 30PSI in the headspace and gas lines past the regulator. Assuming there was no gas flowing in once you did release pressure, the beer carbonation will come out of suspension just to the point that it equalizes in the keg headspace and gas lines (back to the nearest check valve). The less space you have in that, the less carbonation can come out of suspension to equalize.

You can correct it with the reverse of the shake carb method. Make sure theres no air going into the keg, purge the air, give the keg a couple minutes of shaking and let it sit for half an hour to 45 minutes. Shaking the keg will agitate the beer, let the carbonation come out of suspension and equalize the beer to the gas space. You'll want to let it sit because the agitation will also create some foam in the keg, then purge the gas and repeat. If you don't have check valves after your regulator, you can turn off the gas from the tank and purge the gas from the regulator check valve as long as the gas to your other kegs is turned off at a distributor bar or the disconnects are removed. You'll see the needle pop up when you shake the keg up as the carbonation comes out of suspension and into the gas space. After letting the beer settle for 30-45 minutes the new needle reading is going to be roughly your level of carbonation for the beer. Each time you repeat the process, you'll see that reading is a little bit lower. When this new pressure reading is sitting around 8-10 PSI, hook everything back up and turn on your air to your serving pressure, pour yourself a pint and should be good to go. Don't forget that the beer still in your beer lines is going to be carbonated at the higher pressure, so it may take a pint to get to the corrected beer from the keg.

How are you getting beer out of the keg with no pressure in the keg? This is why I despise the burst carbing method. I'm going to get flamed by people who claim they have it down to a science and I say Bull Shz&^. BlueZoo has given you the perfect solution to fix the problem. But, in the future, even though its hard to do.....show some patience with your brews. When you hook the keg up to your system. Set the reg at serving pressure and leave it alone for 2-3 weeks. Your beer will be carbonated perfectly every time with no shaking, purging, off flavor from over carbonation and wastage from foam. Trust me, I know how hard it is to wait to try the latest brew. But green beer is still green beer. Speeding up the carbonation process isn't going to help you make better beer. Sure there are times you need to speed up the process, and you may have to burst carb on occasion. But try, please try not to make it a habit. You and your beer will be so much happier. Sorry for the morning rant.

Hammy71 said:
How are you getting beer out of the keg with no pressure in the keg? This is why I despise the burst carbing method. I'm going to get flamed by people who claim they have it down to a science and I say Bull Shz&^. BlueZoo has given you the perfect solution to fix the problem. But, in the future, even though its hard to do.....show some patience with your brews. When you hook the keg up to your system. Set the reg at serving pressure and leave it alone for 2-3 weeks. Your beer will be carbonated perfectly every time with no shaking, purging, off flavor from over carbonation and wastage from foam. Trust me, I know how hard it is to wait to try the latest brew. But green beer is still green beer. Speeding up the carbonation process isn't going to help you make better beer. Sure there are times you need to speed up the process, and you may have to burst carb on occasion. But try, please try not to make it a habit. You and your beer will be so much happier. Sorry for the morning rant.

Hahaha. You need a cigarette after that?

+1 though. Green beer will still be green

The OP never stated that the keg was forced carbed with shaking. I've never had a keg over-carb on 30psi for only 2 days.

Yes, I agree his beer might still be green, but depending on how long it was in primary/secondary, a blonde might already be ready to consume right after carbing.

A few more questions need to be answered. His kegging setup has not been explained.

Latest posts

Back