MoreBeer Brown Porter Frementation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blstr

Reaction score
I've been serching the threads and found a lot of conflicting info...so, here's the details. I brewed the morebeer brown porter extract kit about 2 weeks ago and used US-05 yeast, OG 1.058, kept it in my fementation fridge at 16C. Now I'm going to Tokyo for a week :rockin: and originally thought I'll just keep it at 16C while I'm gone and plan to bottle when I get back. The more I read some folks advocate raising the temp to complete fermentation.

Does this mean I should raise the temp before I leave? or raise it after I get back? Do I need to be worried about autolysis from a raised temp now or later? I'm trying to avoid being stuck at the dreaded 1.020.

After 2 weeks, your fermentation should be done. I would go ahead and let the beer rise to room temp while you are gone and bottle when you get back. Autolysis doesn't become an issue unless you leave your beer on the yeast for months.

I raise the temp after about 4 days of fermentation to keep the yeast active. Fusal alcohol and bad esters are normally only produced during the first 2-3 days of fermentation if the temp is too high. I generally raise the temp .5C everyday until it reaches 20C then I pull it out of my fermentation chamber and put it in a dark spot in the house.

Hope this helps.

I've been serching the threads and found a lot of conflicting info...so, here's the details. I brewed the morebeer brown porter extract kit about 2 weeks ago and used US-05 yeast, OG 1.058, kept it in my fementation fridge at 16C. Now I'm going to Tokyo for a week :rockin: and originally thought I'll just keep it at 16C while I'm gone and plan to bottle when I get back. The more I read some folks advocate raising the temp to complete fermentation.

Does this mean I should raise the temp before I leave? or raise it after I get back? Do I need to be worried about autolysis from a raised temp now or later? I'm trying to avoid being stuck at the dreaded 1.020.

I would think it would be done fermenting after 2 weeks. What is the gravity?
I would leave it at 16C until you get back. The yeast shouldn't be fermenting but they are cleaning up the mess they made.

I thought about taking it out and leave at room temp...but with AC blasting I can only keep the house at 75F. I'll check the FG after I get back!

I thought about taking it out and leave at room temp...but with AC blasting I can only keep the house at 75F. I'll check the FG after I get back!

You have lots of will power. I would want to know before I left.

Latest posts

Back