Sanitizing/cleaning old beer bottles before using them again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i am wondering and polling all the other home brewers out there. How do you guys sanitize or get the old beer smell and taste out of the bottles? A buddy of mine usually sets them in water for like 3 or 4 days, what do you guys think?

IMB

Hot water and pbw soak(over night) if they are real dirty if they arent real dirty ill soak them in hot soapy water.then ill give them a good hot water rinse then star san sanitizer before filling

If you don't have PBW, buy some Oxiclean and use it for the overnight hot water soak. (Then rinse a few times and do a Star San soak for a couple/few minutes.)

I have just been using a Star San soak overnight thne I use a bottle jet to rinse for a few seconds.

Really I think rinsing out the bottles right after use,storing upside down,jet wash and sanitizing before filling is plenty.

Next time rinse the bottles really well right after drinking. Then no need to clean, all you'll need to do is rinse them with star san before bottling.

Next time rinse the bottles really well right after drinking. Then no need to clean, all you'll need to do is rinse them with star san before bottling.

I do this every time I crack and pour a bottle - even at guests house where I bring my brew - and I have not noticed a beer smell in any of my bottles.

I just rinse the yeast out with hot water (right away) and set on the counter for later cleaning (dish soap and water/2-3 rinses). Then I let drip dry and store in 12 pack boxes upside down till bottling day when I sanitize with iodophor...

I do this every time I crack and pour a bottle - even at guests house where I bring my brew - and I have not noticed a beer smell in any of my bottles.

I just rinse the yeast out with hot water (right away) and set on the counter for later cleaning (dish soap and water/2-3 rinses). Then I let drip dry and store in 12 pack boxes upside down till bottling day when I sanitize with iodophor...

I don't even do the soap/water/drip dry routine! The key is rinsing them within an hour or two after drinking, using hot water, and filling them maybe 1/4 of the way then shaking really hard to get all the yeast out. I don't store them upside down, and when I bottle weeks or even months later they still look and smell absolutely clean. A quick Star San rinse and they're good to go.

I hate bottling as much as the next guy, but I feel like a lot of people make it so much more tedious than it needs to be with their unnecessary cleaning procedures. I see all these posts where somebody's like "Yeah I rinse bottles after drinking, then soak them in PBW, then rinse them, then use dish soap, then put them through the dishwasher, then star san right before filling" etc. Waste of time, resources, hot water, and chemicals if you ask me.

I don't even do the soap/water/drip dry routine! The key is rinsing them within an hour or two after drinking, using hot water, and filling them maybe 1/4 of the way then shaking really hard to get all the yeast out. I don't store them upside down, and when I bottle weeks or even months later they still look and smell absolutely clean. A quick Star San rinse and they're good to go.

I hate bottling as much as the next guy, but I feel like a lot of people make it so much more tedious than it needs to be with their unnecessary cleaning procedures. I see all these posts where somebody's like "Yeah I rinse bottles after drinking, then soak them in PBW, then rinse them, then use dish soap, then put them through the dishwasher, then star san right before filling" etc. Waste of time, resources, hot water, and chemicals if you ask me.

The only time I do any sort of Oxy soak is to remove labels or if the bottles are not ones I have used before.

bosco

The only time I do any sort of Oxy soak is to remove labels or if the bottles are not ones I have used before.

bosco

+1, I should have said this in my post. Oxy or PBW to do the initial cleaning and label removal. After that, just need to rinse after pouring and put it in the "too be Star San'd" bucket.

Good to know guys! Thanks! I always felt I was being WAY too anal about it... I used to do even more but toned it down a bit. Looks like I can tone it down some more :) Whew. Glad I looked through and posted on this thread.

Back