Keezer Build Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ineedavowel

Reaction score
I want to build a keezer that will be placed in a closet behind my bar. Keeping it low-tech (and budget) so no glycol lines etc. The freezer will be directly behind the tap so there shouldn't be much excess line. My question is: What's the best way to run the lines out of the freezer? Through the lid, the gasket, or the back wall? The freezer is an older Gibson 5cf that I got on CL for cheap so I'm not terribly worried about defacing it, but don't want to drill through something critical either. Any suggestions/help appreciated!

Through the top is probably your best choice since though the wall and you are going to hit a coolent line and through the gasket and you aren't going to get a good seal.

Build a small collar out of wood with some insulation on the inside and then drill through and run the lines that way. You can seal it up with foam insulation and it will make it easy to open and close the lid as well.

Check out trunk lines on the chicompany website. Not a bad price and it comes all wrapped and ready to go.

Thanks. I figured 'lid' was the best, just thought I'd ask in case anyone has any 'gotcha' stories like: You can run lines through the lid, just make sure you ____. Or if you do it this way, don't forget to _____.

Here is a related question. If putting the keezer under a bar would it be a detriment to performance if you left the brackets off the lid? It would make it much easier to change kegs if you could just slide the lid off.

Your thoughts?

Here is a related question. If putting the keezer under a bar would it be a detriment to performance if you left the brackets off the lid? It would make it much easier to change kegs if you could just slide the lid off.

Your thoughts?

The biggest concern I would have would be making sure it had a proper seal. The insides can get really nasty, really quick when condensation builds up in there.

Back