Trub seperation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeauxBrew

Reaction score
I just got a good deal on a 9 gal. SS brewpot with a SS ball valve(I can finally start doing full boils). I am looking for sugestions on trub seperation. I've allways racked after the coolng and whirlpool. Still allways seem to get a bit of trub in the primary. Just looking for a little help on my technique.

I just pour my cooled wort through a strainer. Sometimes I use cheesecloth along with my strainer. Work pretty good.

I use a strainer too. It's normal to have some in there and not that big of a deal. You can rack it to secondary in a week or two and get the beer off of it.

GeauxBrew said:
I just got a good deal on a 9 gal. SS brewpot with a SS ball valve(I can finally start doing full boils). I am looking for sugestions on trub seperation. I've allways racked after the coolng and whirlpool. Still allways seem to get a bit of trub in the primary. Just looking for a little help on my technique.
This works like a charm.

Cool the wort and then wrap this around your wort chiller. It's a five gallon paint strainer from Lowes ($2.00).

Dunk the chiller gently into your cooled wort after it has settled and siphon from the clear pool inside the chiller.

Chiller_Filter_2.jpg

BierMuncher said:
This works like a charm.

Cool the wort and then wrap this around your wort chiller. It's a five gallon paint strainer from Lowes ($2.00).

Dunk the chiller gently into your cooled wort after it has settled and siphon from the clear pool inside the chiller.

So I used this method for my first full boil last weekend, worked well, had a couple mishaps, very minor. When I put the stainer on the chiller i had to wrap it up around the in/out tubes to keep wort from coming over the top (defeating the purpose of the strainer). All this stainer collected caused a lot of foam to gather and push the strainer up and the foam started coming out the pot. I didn't have a boil over or anything but kind of annoying.

Any ideas?

Beerrific said:
So I used this method for my first full boil last weekend, worked well, had a couple mishaps, very minor. When I put the stainer on the chiller i had to wrap it up around the in/out tubes to keep wort from coming over the top (defeating the purpose of the strainer). All this stainer collected caused a lot of foam to gather and push the strainer up and the foam started coming out the pot. I didn't have a boil over or anything but kind of annoying.

Any ideas?
I don't wrap the strainer around the chiller until the wort has been cooled. Then I pull the chiller out, rinse it off and set it in a sterilized bucket for about 15 minutes to allow the wort to settle a little.

Then slip on the strainer (which has been sanitized), then gently dip it back in.

BierMuncher said:
I don't wrap the strainer around the chiller until the wort has been cooled. Then I pull the chiller out, rinse it off and set it in a sterilized bucket for about 15 minutes to allow the wort to settle a little.

Then slip on the strainer (which has been sanitized), then gently dip it back in.

Ah. That will do it. Thanks. Great idea BTW!

I think the OP's point is that his new kettle has a bulkhead and valve and he wants to gravity drain it. All the solutions mentioned are over the top siphon-based. I think there are two trains of thought here.

First, you can add a pickup tube that goes right to the bottom sidewall of the kettle. You chill, remove chiller, whirlpool and wait. Once you get your trub cone and it all settles, you drain and the pickup tube SHOULD stay out of the trub for most of the drain.

The second method is to use some kind of strainer on the pickup like a hopstopper or bazooka tube but these really only work when you're chilling ouside of the kettle (CFC or plate) because the hops + cold break clog everything up.

I suppose there's still the option of picking the kettle up and pouring through a strainer. I was doing that when I had my 30qt pot but it became impractical when I upgraded to a keggle. Too heavy.

Bobby M is correct, I was looking for a way to use the bulkhead. I want to make a CFC, but was looking for the best way to strain the trub before it gets into the CFC.

There are several threads around on constructing a hop stopper as well as a commercial one. (Can't find it right now, anyone know the link?)

I used 40 X 40 stainless steel wire mesh and copper and brass fittings from McMaster Carr. I'll try and post pics of it and the parts I used later.

If that is the Brew4Less 9 gallon pot you have, there is a 3/8 female pipe thread off the bulkhead fitting inside the pot.

Back