Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a dorm fridge I converted for holding two cornies. I want to move to 4 or 6 on tap. I have no issue with 2-250 fo rthe freezer. I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.

I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.

I doubt it can be done without having to buy some sort of thermostat. You can of course use the cheaper aquarium thermostats. I think those are like 30 bucks.

I have bought a generic temp controller from Chi company $39 that works great. Their shipping is a bit high, but if you are buying a corny or two it might work out.
I have also gotten the L&W thermo $30. It was an easy replacement for the freezer thermostat, but even at its highest setting is cooling too much, not sure why the range isn't better.
Third, I bought a used johnson controls off of ebay and hooked up an extention cord talked about extensively on here. Very easy, and works great. $25 Do some research to make sure you are getting the right model for the appropriate cooling range you want. Also, make sure you don't cut a decent two-prong cord, or cut your wife's laptop extension cord like I did.

I see quite a few questions about the GE 7.0 cf from Home Depot (FCM7SUWW)...

TightFit.JPG

It holds four on the floor if you aren't afraid to apply some torque. One on the hump and a 10# CO2 bottle. You need a tall collar though to get one on the hump.

Oh these are 8.5" ball lock kegs.

That looks exactly the same freezer as the Holiday model 73849 from Lowes for $179

I am currently looking at the Holiday 7.0 freezer, I am wanting to fit 2-3, 5 Gallon Ball Lock, Pepsi Style, Kegs and the C02 tank. I've read many of the postings but not certain if anyone has NOT built a collar for this? I not wanting to build the collar and assume I'll have to go with the tower system? Could someone please help me out? Thanks Guy

I too was adverse to building a collar and went with a dual tower. If I had to do it again, I think I'd go with the collar and individual taps. It's a pain to open the keezer and worry about being far enough from the wall so the tower doesn't hit. Plus to add another tap (3rd) I need to buy a second tower... do I get a dual or a triple (which tend to be overpriced)? This is all easier with the collar approach.

In summary, don't write off going with a collar. Many posters on this forum have photos of well executed collar solutions. Cheers

The holiday 7 will hold 3 cornys and a 20# tank no sweat - Without a collar.

Use a tower if you want. Or a coffin, or a collar. It's all just personal preference.
Look around here for the keezer build threads. There are a ton of very well documented builds of every design you can think of.

I've been using a dorm fridge I converted for holding two cornies. I want to move to 4 or 6 on tap. I have no issue with 2-250 fo rthe freezer. I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.

Has anybody tried this $13.00 approach:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270547332620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is a universal refrigerator replacement thermostat. I would think it could be wired right in to the freezer in about 20 minutes replacing the existing thermostat.

Thoughts anyone ????
:tank:

I looked over the thread as best I could, but didn't see a lot of mention of carboys. Anyone with a GE 7.0cf able to say how many kegs they can fit along with a 5-gallon carboy or Better Bottle?

I was considering a GE 9.0, but then I realized it'd be around the same price for a 7.0 for kegs, along with a separate 5.0 as a lagering chamber (aside from the cost of the 2nd temp controller.)

In the meantime though, I'm just curious if I'd be able to keg a couple beers in the same chamber with 1 carboy/Better Bottle. Thanks!

I looked over the thread as best I could, but didn't see a lot of mention of carboys. Anyone with a GE 7.0cf able to say how many kegs they can fit along with a 5-gallon carboy or Better Bottle?

I was considering a GE 9.0, but then I realized it'd be around the same price for a 7.0 for kegs, along with a separate 5.0 as a lagering chamber (aside from the cost of the 2nd temp controller.)

In the meantime though, I'm just curious if I'd be able to keg a couple beers in the same chamber with 1 carboy/Better Bottle. Thanks!

It fits a carboy, 3 kegs and 10# CO2 tank. Someone asked me about it before and I checked it out for them...

Carboy3Kegs.JPG

It fits a carboy, 3 kegs and 10# CO2 tank. Someone asked me about it before and I checked it out for them...

Thanks! I just picked up a GE 7.0 the other day. I even got the SWMBO to agree to getting another one for lagering in a couple months!

I don't know why, but I never thought about putting the carboy on the hump inside. I was picturing it on the floor. That layout works so much better and I only lose 1 keg! Thanks again. I'll definitely be doing this until I get the seperate lagering chamber.

Thanks! I just picked up a GE 7.0 the other day. I even got the SWMBO to agree to getting another one for lagering in a couple months!

I don't know why, but I never thought about putting the carboy on the hump inside. I was picturing it on the floor. That layout works so much better and I only lose 1 keg! Thanks again. I'll definitely be doing this until I get the seperate lagering chamber.

Keep in mind you will need a collar...

Yup! I've got a couple kegs carbing in it for now without a collar, but I've intended to make one all along. I've got a few friends who've built collars, so I'll be checking theirs out, but I have all the measurements and list of parts put together. Just gotta build it, but I'm not really in a hurry anyway.

I just took a look at your Keezer build thread also. Very helpful!

Nice! I have $25 in rewards certificates that I need to use too. How many ball locks can fit in this?

I have read that "Rick500" advised that it is three and a #10 bottle without a collar, and FIVE and the #10 bottle with the collar.......five is just great for me!!! (Thank you Rick500)

All BestBuys out of the freezer around me, so I had to order it on-line......estemated next month for store pick-up. Sure hope they aren't stringing me along.......

I have read that "Rick500" advised that it is three and a #10 bottle without a collar, and FIVE and the #10 bottle with the collar.......five is just great for me!!! (Thank you Rick500)

All BestBuys out of the freezer around me, so I had to order it on-line......estemated next month for store pick-up. Sure hope they aren't stringing me along.......

I went in a talked to someone at best buy about it today and no one mentioned that it would take a month to get it. Sale ends saturday though for those thinking about getting one.

Just picked up a Sunbeam 10.6cu

Ball locks: 5 on the floor, 2 on the hump if you build a collar
Pin locks: 6 on the floor, 2 on the hump

This fills it up pretty well, so subtract 1 if you want your CO2 tank in there as well.

This fills it up pretty well, so subtract 1 if you want your CO2 tank in there as well.

Are you sure about that? You can fit more pin locks than ball locks even though the pin locks are wider?

Just an FYI. The GE 7 cubic foot freezer is on sale (Internet only) for $168 with free shipping.

where did you get this? how much? it's exactly what I want, 4 on floor, 2 on hump.

oh yeh hah.. are you sure it's 10.6 CF though? the interior width of the frigidaire 12.8 CF model is about 36". A keg is 9" in diameter, so fitting 4 kegs in a row in 36" is a close one, plus this is a 12.8 CF model, bigger than yours.

do you have a pic, or can you give me interior dims?

Here you go.

7 ball locks and 1 pin lock on the hump:
pinlocks.jpg

All pin locks, and the 7th will easily fit in there:
balllocks.jpg

Also I checked and it is indeed the 10.6cu per the manual. Maybe the Frigidaire you're referencing is taller and/or wider?

I just looked at Lowes and their holiday 7 cu ft one doesn't have the hump in the corner its straight across the side. Anyone know how many this fits for ball lock kegs? It's 189 right now plus I get a 10% discount.

Here you go.

Also I checked and it is indeed the 10.6cu per the manual. Maybe the Frigidaire you're referencing is taller and/or wider?

huh wow. I must say, I've spend a couple hours researching chest freezers to find the size I wanted. I made a huge excel sheet of all the models from frigidaire, kenmoore, ge, etc..
I basically found that every chest freezer 9 cu. ft. and below was the same depth, about 22" (inside depth was 15"), which doesn't allow you to put two kegs in tandem. That's why all of these smaller freezers, you have to stagger them. For all freezers above 9 cu.ft, they were all about 29" deep, making it about 21" inside, which allows them to be in tandem. The heights for all chest freezers were the same. So basically, as you went up in chest freezer size from 5-9, only the width changes. jump to the next size up all the way to 25, there is a new depth, but again, the width just changed.
So that's why I was unsure of this 10 cu. ft. which FWIW, I never came across any sunbeam, or 10 cu. ft. for that matter. I only saw 9 cuft. and 12 cuft.

so this is good to know, thought I don't see sunbeam carried at home depot, lowes, sears, conns, best buy, or walmart. (or menards, which you said you got it there.. their website shows no chest freezers at all)
So I don't know there's any chance I'd end up with one.

edit, after looking at sunbeam website, it seems Jarden Consumer Solutions (JCS), who owned the sunbeam and oster brands, filed chapter 11 in jan. of 2009.
so oh well.

anyway, I have my mind set on having a freezer than can hold two kegs in tandem, with 6 on the floor. I have 6 kegs, and I want them all on the floor, with the hump empty, and of course not just a whole lot of open space left over. This is def. the smallest one that can do that. as for companies still around, the frigidaire 12 cu.ft. is the smallest, but hard to find. so that leaves me with 15 cu.ft.

Thanks for pic though.

I just got the holiday 7cuft for fifty bucks brand new at Lowes. It was a scratch and dent model that wasn't scratched or dented somehow, and an old gift card I had. I now have a keezer project!

FYI for anyone planning on buying a Kenmore model.
Sears has all Kenmore appliances 30% off until January 19th plus extra 5% if you use your sears card.

One question for you guys. Im looking at doing a two keg system but i do not have room big enough for a freezer. But i do have enough room for a Compact Refrigerator. The only thing i dont know is what cubic ft i would need. Im looking for one that has a swing out door and not a top open...

One question for you guys. Im looking at doing a two keg system but i do not have room big enough for a freezer. But i do have enough room for a Compact Refrigerator. The only thing i dont know is what cubic ft i would need. Im looking for one that has a swing out door and not a top open...
Something like this;
http://www.frys.com/product/4622668

So I quickly skimmed through here and did a couple of searches but I cant really find the answer to my question. So here it is:

So I recently bought a 5.0 cubic foot freezer on craigslist for 50 bucks. My woodworking skills are ****ty at best. I was wondering if you could use this same method to find the refrigerant lines? Or are freezers completely surrounded by refrigerant lines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back