RIS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishelms

Reaction score
Brewed a northern brewer ris about six weeks ago. added oatmeal, coffee, vanilla bean, cocoa along with some other goodies. started with an og of about 1111. pitched S-04 yeast , blew off after about 9-10 hours. let it have a few weeks. without really knowing what would happen pitched another dry S-04. so far its been almost six weeks. airlock still going about once every five mins. do i let it sit a few more weeks or is it time to get it off the cake and into the secondary? havent taken another gravity reading cause im assuming that the yeasties are still workin for me. let me know what you think. i plan on takin a gravity reading this weekend.

Hm, tough call but I'd put it in a secondary if it's been sitting on the same yeast cake for more than 6 weeks.

thanks for the replies. still plannin on takin a reading this weekend, but think i will just transfer to be on the safe side. a little lower attenuation wont be the end of the world for my first impy. maybe next time i should venture into the realm of yeast starters for this kind of brew.

You don't need a starter for dry yeast. But with a gravity that high it wouldn't have been a bad idea to pitch 2 packets at the beginning instead of one.

Back