Grains of paradise question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I have a session pale ale in primary ready to go to secondary and I was thinking of adding grains of paradise. I've never used grains of paradise, but know it will add some peppery spice. I'm not sure about amount and wheather adding it to the secondary is the way to go. Any suggestions?

I've never used them in the secondary, but grains of paradise are great! In addition to the peppery flavor (similar to pink peppercorns) they also have a piny, woody taste with some lemony citrus. Could be great in a session pale.

I would be worried that you aren't actually going to extract anything from them without heat or high levels of alcohol. If you want to add the flavor at this point, I would do an extraction in vodka to add at bottling. That way you can experiment with the level before you add it to the bulk of your beer.

I usually use about a quarter ounce in a wit. You could probably get some good flavors by soaking that much in half a cup of vodka in a sealed container while your beer ages in the secondary.

I agree with BeerLogic; a bit late to add them directly to the brew, in my opinion. I usually add about 1/4 tsp or so for the last 15 min. of the boil. I would add them to an extraction as well.

I usually use about a quarter ounce in a wit.

A quarter ounce = 7 grams. I think GoP are sold in 2 gram packages for $s. I think a quarter ozs is a little too much. I generally use 1 level teaspoon for 6.5 gallons, and that is about 2.8 grams.

For the OP:

They will work fine in secondary. crush the grains first, and soak in a small amount of vodka (to sanitize them), then add the grains and vodka to the secondary.

GoP is pretty strong, I wouldn't use more than 2 grams per 5 gallon batch. I've only ever used them in boil though.

Oops, I meant an eighth, not a quarter. A quarter is definitely way too much. I don't have a metric scale and I bought some in bulk a while back.

Do you guys crush the grains before putting them in the boil or just throw them in whole?

Thanks,
Klink

Grains of Paradise??? Absolutely, you should use it. It's THE secret weapon in my most popular Saison brew (together with lemon zest).

I put 0.5oz in a pepper grinder and grind them into powder before boiling for the last 15mins. You could just make a tea instead and add to your secondary or even bottling bucket.

if you add them during the boil, you are going to lose a lot of the aromatics, just like hops. 1/2oz is crazy overkill. Crush <5g and add them at flameout. 5min from flameout at the earliest

Where did you all find your grains of paradise? I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find any.

So far I've been to Smith's (a kroger store), Albertsons, Sprouts and Whole Foods. Did you just end up ordering yours online or were you able to get yours locally?

Where did you all find your grains of paradise? I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find any.

So far I've been to Smith's (a kroger store), Albertsons, Sprouts and Whole Foods. Did you just end up ordering yours online or were you able to get yours locally?

Just about any brewing supply store will have them. Not sure if you have an LHBS, but all the online retailers have them. 1oz is plenty. Enough for at least 2 brews

They are like a more floral black peppercorn. If they were cheaper and easier to find, id try them on some pasta or something. mmmm

Just about any brewing supply store will have them. Not sure if you have an LHBS, but all the online retailers have them. 1oz is plenty. Enough for at least 2 brews

They are like a more floral black peppercorn. If they were cheaper and easier to find, id try them on some pasta or something. mmmm

An ounce will last 10+ brews.

I bought 5 ounces from 'My Spice Sage' for about $4 a couple of years ago (+ a few other spices and get free shipping on over $10). A lot cheaper than buying it in 2 gram packs from the LHBS.

.......... And I do have some in a grinder that I use for cooking.

I bought mine on ebay. 2oz for $6 free shipping. Not as cheap as Calder got them for. I think at your brew supply store it's sold a package of 10 grams for $2 something, way less then an oz.

I'm just going to get them at the LHBS. 2g for $1.80. At least it'll be enough to do a test batch with and decide if the spice is something I want to continue with.

I'm just going to get them at the LHBS. 2g for $1.80. At least it'll be enough to do a test batch with and decide if the spice is something I want to continue with.

I just checked 'MySpiceSage' and they currently have 4 ozs for $7. Orders over $10 ship free. Not saying they are the cheapest; it is where I bought it, and have not checked anywhere else.

4 ounces is roughly 112 grams.

- Price is the same as buying 4 x 2-gram packs from LHBS
- At LHBS price you quoted, 4 ozs would cost you $101

I don't expect you to use 4 ozs in beer over the next few years, but if you like Belgians, you will probably use it a several times if you have it on hand ..... and it can be used for cooking.

I guess it depends on what beer your going to make. In my summer ale I use 10 grams. I have also subbed whole black pepper crushed. While black pepper is not the same, it will kinda give you the feel of grains of paradise.

Latest posts

Back