My first layout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wattuz

Reaction score
I have used photoshop before, but im afraid if the look of this layout is too "futuristic".
I copied Guinness a bit.

Here it is:
imperial_stout_label.jpg

What do you think?

it has a really interesting quality to it, that i really like. futuristic might be the word, i dont know lol
either way i find it very nice
what is 33cl?

33cl is the volume, 33cl = 3,33dl = 0,33l. So it's a basic bottle of beer here in Finland.

It looks like some wine labels that I have seen.
Clean, simple, nicely done.
I agree that you are going to crank through a lot of ink/toner
if you are going to do any major quantity of these,
but, that being said,
sometimes you do something because it is what you really want,
not because it is the most cost effective way of doing it.

ohiobrewtus said:
I like it. The black with the red and white really make it pop out.

Feedback from my SWMBO...sorry dude. Please don't flame me...SMBO!

She doesn't like the year. she says lose the year and center the vandas or move it to the bottom under ABV. Take the line with the arrow and place it below the Imperial Stout. Bold the type if you are going to use that font. She says that the red needs to be less orange and more red. More like the USSR flag color or the vermilion red in the Chinese flag. Other than that she likes it. She really is nice.

She does buy a lot of beer and she does own her own business...

If it makes you feel better I like it. :rockin:

As I already said, I like the design...
that being said, let me address the points the last poster made

VermVerm said:
She doesn't like the year. she says lose the year and center the vandas or move it to the bottom under ABV.

this will improve the balance and symmetry of the design.

VermVerm said:
Take the line with the arrow and place it below the Imperial Stout. Bold the type if you are going to use that font.

same as above.... improved symmetry...
this is a huge issue...
in a clean, simple design like yours, it is even more important

VermVerm said:
Bold the type if you are going to use that font.

The font is a bit thin, so bolding it might make it a bit more vibrant

VermVerm said:
She says that the red needs to be less orange and more red. More like the USSR flag color or the vermilion red in the Chinese flag.

this one I disagree on, the red looks just fine on my monitor, but for that, you will probably have to base it upon how it prints, not how it looks on any one particular monitor...

ok, i double checked the red, the chinese flags i was able to download all use the hex code ff0000, in other words, pure red...
you are just slightly off from a pure red, at fe0002, it is a slight variation, but it is there.

Wattuz said:
33cl is the volume, 33cl = 3,33dl = 0,33l. So it's a basic bottle of beer here in Finland.
A little less than 12 oz, for those of us who don't do metric.

I like the simplicity of the label, but I do agree that it's a bit asymmetric. Center the name at the top and the year somewhere underneath it.

The red is too vibrant on my monitor, but I bet it prints nicely.

VermVerm said:
She doesn't like the year. she says lose the year and center the vandas or move it to the bottom under ABV. Take the line with the arrow and place it below the Imperial Stout. Bold the type if you are going to use that font. She says that the red needs to be less orange and more red. More like the USSR flag color or the vermilion red in the Chinese flag. Other than that she likes it. She really is nice.

:D in other words, change the whole thing, but she likes it. :D

just busting balls.

homebrewer_99 said:
All else said...it would save you a lot of ink if they were printed on black stock. ;)

I know that 33cl is basically a 3rd of a liter...I lived in Germany for 9 years.

Most home printers do not print white, and the ink used allows the color of the paper stock to show through, so printing on black stock will not work. For that to work, he would need to silk screen the design onto black stock, using a thick enough ink that it acted more like a paint, not an ink. A basic silk screening kit can be found at most hobby/craft shops for fairly cheap, so that might be one direction that he wants to look, depending on how much time and effort he wants to put into these.

Back