How many kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate

Reaction score
How many kegs do you own and use regularly? I have nine cornies that I use all the time. A friend of mine just bought a bar and brought me 20 pin lock kegs that were in the shed behind the place. I"m not sure what I will do with them. I thought about rebuilding them and keeping them for future use but I'm not sure I need them. I have a few friends that brew but they are not serious enough to give them to. Maybe I should just fill them all.

I have 7, but only 2 are in working order. The others need seals and/or missing parts to get working.

I'd hold onto the kegs. I only see the prices rising on them. If you don't end up needing them, you can probably get some decent coin for them in a while.

I have five, 5g ball lock kegs. One has Gatorade in it, one has a BierMunchers brew in it, the third a strongly hopped and high ABV IPA that is being force carbed. The other two.. waiting in the stables to be used. Doubt I'll ever get all five online at the same time.

Cornys make excellent secondaries. Get a nice barleywine or even regular wine program going and let em age!

I like the idea of a long aging barleywine or RIS in the keg. Usually I try to fill them all before summer and let them condition in the cool cellar. If I want to bring one out I can dryhop it before serving.

I have 7 cornies. 5 in the keezer and 2 aging and carbing offline so that I can hopefully always keep 5 taps going. I do 10 gallon batches and have 8 carboys and ferm chamber holds 6.

20 might be a little overkill though too. Im sure you could get a couple taken off your hands for a fair price in the classified section here on HBT.

I have 7x5gal pin locks; one sanitized, one just kicked (great APA my wife loved), the others are holding: apfelwine, IRA, Tripel, Mild, Braggot. Gotta clean & sanitize the APA keg then transfer my Saison & Christmas ale tomorrow to free up fermenters for the weekend:)

kpr121 said:
20 might be a little overkill though too. Im sure you could get a couple taken off your hands for a fair price in the classified section here on HBT.

This. If they're pin locks, I'm in for a few at a reasonable price.

ive got 11, i would say i have 10 in constant rotation (my kegerator holds 6) but i'm going to be upping to 10 gallon batches after i recently discovered a lot of my beer has been consumed much faster than i anticipated... womp womp womp

I had 3 up until today. Now I have a total of 8. Haven't gotten all the items together to complete my kegerator, but I emailed Santa my list, I've been ...... pretty good this year, and I think by the 1st of the year I should be good to go. I'm going to go ahead and start carbing in a couple of them so when all is good to go I am ahead of the game.

I just went from two and one in need of repair to four and the parts to fix the fifth.

I shouldn't have any problem keeping the five occupied but I want to get about three more so when the kegarator is full I can have some ready to swap in.

I have four, but the the only practical limit on the number I own is how many my wife will allow me to purchase and store around the house. I don't really have the ability to serve more than three in my small chest freezer, but I like the ability to bulk age beers while keeping my fermenters free and to use the kegs to pump star san and PBW/Oxyclean around.

I have 7 cornies. 5 in the keezer and 2 aging and carbing offline so that I can hopefully always keep 5 taps going. I do 10 gallon batches and have 8 carboys and ferm chamber holds 6.

I will be picking up my first 2 or 3 tomorrow. This guy wants $40 for ball locks and $35 for pin locks. I'm just so tired of bottles.

I have 6, but 1 isn't working as serving keg. I use that one as a secondary. You simply need to look at three numbers.

How often you brew, how many full kegs do you like to have at any given time, and how long it takes you to kick a keg. Then do the math, and you'll arrive at how many kegs you need. For me, 7 would be ideal, so I'm planning to buy one more.

I have 7 ball locks- 4 in the keezer, two out, and 1 that holds sanitizer full time, mostly because I don't like that one as much.

I have 5 ball lock kegs. Right now i have 3 in the keezer that could fit 4 max. One just kicked which means as soon as i have time i will be brewing.

I have 6 ball lock kegs and 3 of the 2.5 mini kegs. The mini's are for test batches, playing around and when I want to keg half and bottle half.
I quit for now. My kegerator only holds 3 kegs and with the spares, my beer drinking and brewing schedule, I'm fine. Plus, SWMBO thinks kegs all over doesn't look so great.

14. I don't feel like I could ever have too many. Out of every batch 2 kegs go to friends, I keep 2 for myself and bottle the rest.

0 I'm super jealous of this thread. Bottling bucket here we go. Congrats guys!

I have 7 Ball lock, 3 are in use, In a week I will have 10, and 2 to 3 fermenters going, Good thing I turned that extra room into one big fermentation chamber.

Now its time to order lots and lots of grain :D

Cheers :mug:

I only have five and all have some level of beer in them. My kegerator only holds four at a time so one got kicked out. One keg has a strong stout that I'm guessing will be consumed slower than usual and I just started fermenting 10 gallons of an Amarillo/Columbus IPA. Time to make some room for those :)

I have 9 as well. With 6 taps flowing in 2 kegerators at home. I currently have 7 of the 9 full of homebrew, with two more batches in the ferment chamber right now. Only one of the kegs is about to kick, my stout, but I have a friend who bought a corny for HIS kegerator that I brew beer for who likes it and I'll do a double batch of stout next time around.

8 ball, 2 pin and 2 sankey. All 5 gallon. 1 pin always has water the sankeys are for a portable set up and the rest rotate through a 5 spigot keg-o-rator.

I sound like a gluten but I have 40 ball lock and brew 15 gal batches and some 1bbl batches. I have 10 taps two nitro and 8 reg and alot of friends !!I secondary in them as well. right now I have 7 sitting and the others are in either place :D

I brew mostly in the winter because the conditions in my cellar are perfect for fermentation with temps at 62. I fill as many as possible and set aside for conditioning. When I'm ready to put one on tap I dry hop in the keg. It works for me.

I have 8, and am ordering two more tomorrow. I never thought I'd "need" more than 2. I have room for 4 in my kegerator, and use the outside fridge for carbing and aging.

12 working ball lock. 6 full at the moment. can store all 12 cold, but only four taps. about 12 more fix-r-upers that i should probably sell.

Back