POLL: What type of fermenter do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLL: What type of fermenter do you use?

• Glass Carboy

• Better Bottle (plastic carboy)

• Bucket

• Other ( plastic/metal conical, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I found a few older polls - none recent. Thanks for playing. No need to debate the benefits of any of these, that's been done to death. I'm just assessing the state of the union at this time.

2010: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/glass-carboy-vs-better-bottle-vs-bucket-94507/index2.html
2009: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/glass-p-e-t-109832/
2005: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what-do-you-use-fermenter-4000/
2005: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/primary-fermentor-carboy-vs-plastic-bucket-1449/

I'm all glass ... Been eyeing the better bottles lately, though. It's only a matter of time until I drop one ...

Plastic "Home Depot" Primary and have both a glass carboy and a Better Bottle carboy. Definitely recommend the $4 homedepot bucket for a primary if on a budget

>> Definitely recommend the $4 homedepot bucket for a primary if on a budget

The Homer Bucket holds 5 gallons, which is too small for a 5 gallon batch, or do you split your 5 gallon batch into 2 buckets? Or a 10 gallon batch into 3 (which I think is too small)?

I chose better bottles because they are my favorite. However, if they are full I will use the glass carboys or corney kegs. I also use a lot of 1 gallon glass. I don't use buckets as I like to move my beer/wine with CO2.

I prefer better bottles but will use anything in a pinch. Got a gallon of cider going in the jug it came in.

I chose Better Bottle (for now) but plan on using simple 6 gallon FDA buckets to ferment so I can top crop yeast in the future.

Plastic "Home Depot" Primary and have both a glass carboy and a Better Bottle carboy. Definitely recommend the $4 homedepot bucket for a primary if on a budget

Any issues with off flavors etc? Guessing not or you would not still be using, asking nonetheless.

Just switched from these: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_53_147&products_id=12287 the "brewcube" from Austin Homebrew to this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/12095/104258/Speidel_Plastic_Fermenter_-_60L_159_gal the 15.9g Speidel Tanks from MoreBeer. Glass just isn't for me. The guy who taught me how to brew used glass and swore that plastic was inferior. Glass is just too much of a menace when full of 5+ gallons of liquid. Besides, once I started making 10g batches I wanted a single fermentor and that's not an option with glass.

BTW, love the Speidel fermentor. Used the spigot to rack to a corny keg...so fast and easy compared to using an auto-siphon. These tanks are made for fermenting in (sure maybe wine specifically, but they still have it where it counts for home brewing) and using them is an absolute pleasure. So many little things that just work. A fine example of German engineering.

Straight-up glass. I've got 2 6.5-gallon carboys, 1 6-gallon, 2 5-gallon, 2 3-gallon and 2 1-gallon carboys. Also got a 5-gallon Better bottle that I use on occasion and I'll borrow a buddy's 15-gallon wine demijohn for the occasional 10-gallon batch.

Straight-up glass. I've got 2 6.5-gallon carboys, 1 6-gallon, 2 5-gallon, 2 3-gallon and 2 1-gallon carboys. Also got a 5-gallon Better bottle that I use on occasion and I'll borrow a buddy's 15-gallon wine demijohn for the occasional 10-gallon batch.

Ahh, so I misspoke. There is a glass option for 10 gallon batches. I'll tell you what, though, I bet they're no fun to move around, if they're even movable with one person.

Just sold all my glass carboys and moved entirely to plastic buckets. They're cheaper, lighter, safer, and easier to clean. What's not to love?

Gameface said:
Ahh, so I misspoke. There is a glass option for 10 gallon batches. I'll tell you what, though, I bet they're no fun to move around, if they're even movable with one person.

Not fun to move at all...been looking for a relatively cheap option for fermenting 10-gallon batches but the 15-gallon plastic speidel fermentors from morebeer are on back order

I use (or plan to use) all of the above. Better Bottles are my first choice because I like to be able to see what's happening in my beer, although I am looking to start fermenting in corny or sanke kegs down the road. I have five of them currently (two for sour beers). I use buckets from time to time as a backup (I have three, incl. one for sour beers), and glass for small batches. In the brewpub I use conicals. They all work as primaries - it's just a matter of preference.

IHasABucket.jpg

Should be an "all of the above" option. I've got a bit of everything from past brewing, but moving towards standardizing on corny kegs -- use these mostly now for everything.

All glass for me. Easier to keep sanitized for me and I like to watch the beer ferment.

I use better bottles for the primary and buckets for the secondary when I dry hop. I have a 6.5 gal, a 5 gal, and two 3 gal (for sours) plastic bottles. I have a 6.5 gal and a 5 gal bucket with snap tops and two each of four and two gallon buckets with screw on lids with gaskets. Crazy assortment but that's what I came by so that's what I use.

You need an all of the above button, or the ability to vote for more than one type. I have everything but a conical, and use all of them regularly. Glass, plastic, better bottles, glass carboys and buckets. I don't have a preference. I use whatever is empty at the time.

Should be an "all of the above" option. I've got a bit of everything from past brewing, but moving towards standardizing on corny kegs -- use these mostly now for everything.

I use better bottles for the primary and buckets for the secondary when I dry hop. I have a 6.5 gal, a 5 gal, and two 3 gal (for sours) plastic bottles. I have a 6.5 gal and a 5 gal bucket with snap tops and two each of four and two gallon buckets with screw on lids with gaskets. Crazy assortment but that's what I came by so that's what I use.

You need an all of the above button, or the ability to vote for more than one type. I have everything but a conical, and use all of them regularly. Glass, plastic, better bottles, glass carboys and buckets. I don't have a preference. I use whatever is empty at the time.

I know dammit. Wish I could edit the poll. That's what I get for not thinking things out thoroughly.

I have buckets, glass and Better Boys.
I am using BB's right now and I like how light they are.
They all have their advantages.
I could see myself going to buckets exclusively one day but I'm with BB's for the foreseeable future.

Plastic carboys, buckets and an old crock are in the back of the basement and all I use now is the newer Cooper's burp top fermenter.

My beers are for the most part all grain, simple session to slightly heavy brown English ales.

Six gallons of wort, trub and all, goes in and after a few weeks I bottle right from the fermenter.

OMO

bosco

Back