Muntons 40 pint beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used a Muntons branded kit but the 5 or so others I did try turned out tasting like a slightly alcoholic wet dog. They can be improved by using less water and doing a boil with real hops.

1.8 kg = 4 lbs LME. That will make a pretty weak beer. Add 2 lbs of cane sugar (and it is OK to use cane sugar) will get an OG around 1.047. If you end up at 1.012, it will give you about 4.5% abv.

Personally I like some sugar in my beers to help dry them out, but at 40% of the fermentables, it seems way too much.

I think I would either replace a pound of the sugar with a pound of dry extract, or just use 1 lb of sugar and reduce the volume to 4 gallons.

I have used both candy and cane (table) sugar in my beers and honestly cant really tell the difference. You should be fine with table sugar.

Depends how strong you want it. I would say 5 gallons would give you a tasty beer at a good strength.

4.5% is pretty standard for many Commercial beers. I think that with 40% sugar, it will be thin on taste ........ I guess BMC beers are that too.

Brewed lots of hopped Muntons kits over the years. Go with 1lb cane sugar, 1lb of dme, and boil up 1oz of aroma hops (willamette or cascade) for about 5 min. I'd personally go with 5G.

Cheers!

Back