LF Hop rhizomes in Decatur GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogsuace

Reaction score
Just moved to GA and looking to grow my own hops. Anyone know where I can get some hop rhizomes locally so I can get started? :drunk:

Beer Necessities in Alpharetta had them last year but I have not seen them yet this year. Next year I can probably cut you a couple off of my plants if you still cant find them. :mug:

Thanks for the offer br1dge. I ordered some Nugget and Cascades online, the cascades had a tiny bit of mold on them. The Nuggets were huge and looked very healthy.
I didn't realize I could bleach rinse the moldy Cascade rhizomes and already stuck them in the ground. I wonder if they will take?...

BTW, how did your hops handle the Atlanta Summer? I want to plant some more hops but I don't want to waste my time and money if they are most likely going to die in the summer heat.

BTW, how did your hops handle the Atlanta Summer? I want to plant some more hops but I don't want to waste my time and money if they are most likely going to die in the summer heat.

Sorry I didnt see this sooner. Hops handeled the heat ok. I dont have them in Direct sunlight but I think they get enough. First year my biggest issues were with critters and bugs. Still having some issues with bugs gnawing on the leaves. Part of it is that Im trying not to nuke them with chemicals and keep it mostly organic. My cascades have seemed to thrive and are the biggest out of the bunch. My others are doing ok but I dont think they are getting enough sun where I have them. I may end up moving them next year.

I definitely dont think you would be wasting your time growing them. In the end you have to do it for the fun of it. It will take years before you are getting a monster harvest. Depending on how much you brew and how much hops you use you will still be buying hops. All said and done I enjoy it even though I havent cropped out a bunch of hops.

Yeah my cascade rhizome's were moldy, I wiped them down, and put them in the soil and only one of them came up. It was doing good, but noticed alot of bugs were eating the leaves. I came home last night and the cascade had totally unwrapped itself from the string and was lying on its side. I thought maybe my 3 year old had done this, but my wife insists he wasn't out side all day. I wrapped the hop bine back around the string but noticed that near the soil the plant was brown-ish and did not look very healthy. I have a feeling cascades are not going to happen for me this year.

My two nuggets are growing very strongly just a few feet from the cascade, and they don't seem to get eaten up like the cascade did.

None of my plants get enough sunlight either. If I throw more rhizomes in the ground next year I will build a trellis on the south facing side of my house. It gets the most direct sunlight and no trees or buildings block the sunlight there.

Back