Heating element for fermentation freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNDASJ

Reaction score
I have a large chest freezer and a dual stage temperature controller. I was wondering what you guys use as a heating element in the freezer. I've heard of people using light bulbs but that seems like a bad idea because one benefit of a chest freezer is that it's free of light.

Heating pad, reptile pad or light, small ceramic space heater, light bulb shield to hide light, etc.

I use a brew-belt that I already had.

Reptile lamps work fine though... any "heating" lamp should be heavily balanced towards the IR part of the spectrum, and it's only UV light that causes a problem.

Reptile lamp wired in line with a computer fan. Works great, and no risk of skunking.

I use a 75W reptile lamp wired in series with a replacement exhaust fan ($17) for a bathrrom fixture.

I just use a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. Not enough UV to skunk beer. My fermentation fridge is in a shed and sees winter temperatures close to zero and the 60 watt bulb does just fine.

Bob

I use one of these taped on two walls of my fermentation chamber. Works well. They're only about $17.00 at PetSmart.

pPETS-6437159t400.jpg

I use a 'work light' grade bulb which is just a little more robust and covered with silicone or some other heavy duty coating. The plain bulbs just blew out when knocking around inside the chamber. I didn't want my power cable resting on the floor in case there was a leak or moisture, so it hangs and the silicone covered bulb protects better.

A light bulb couldn't be more effective as it works faster than the freezer itself. I tried a couple other things and they were way overkill.

(of course, I brew in stainless, so the light thing isn't an issue.)

I use one of these taped on two walls of my fermentation chamber. Works well. They're only about $17.00 at PetSmart.

pPETS-6437159t400.jpg

I was thinking of a FermWrap heater but this seems better and cheaper. What temps can you maintain using this setup?

My fermentation chamber is a mini-fridge that is in my basement and here in western NY, it can get cold down there.

drocu said:
I was thinking of a FermWrap heater but this seems better and cheaper. What temps can you maintain using this setup?

My fermentation chamber is a mini-fridge that is in my basement and here in western NY, it can get cold down there.

I'm able to maintain standard ale fermentation temps, and my chamber is out in the garage with outside temps down in the 20's sometimes.

Those aren't lamps on the lid. They're little fans to circulate the air inside the freezer. I'm using a dual stage controller from morebeer.com.

ForumRunner_20111020_074017.jpg

Those aren't lamps on the lid. They're little fans to circulate the air inside the freezer. I'm using a dual stage controller from morebeer.com.

Ok. I see now. I couldnt see the blades on my phone. That should work well. Pretty much my set up except I used a pc fan on the lid which quit working quite a while ago. Looks like youre ready for winter:mug:

I found these neat little fans for only $3.60 at Wal-Mart by the space heaters. They're selling them for cheap since winter is coming. I was going to use a computer fan also but these look better, are already wired, and cheaper than the computer fan. Check out your walmart maybe they got em too.

1MadScientist said:
Can I do this with a single stage controller? I have a Johnson Digital. I just kicked my upright freezer out to the garage.

I don't see why not. Single stage controllers can be used to heat or cool.

I've got a 17w heating pad used for germinating garden seeds. No light worries, and should provide even heat due to low wattage. I have a small mini fridge, so the pad will be in fairly close proximity to the fermenter.

All theoretical since my temp controller won't arrive till tomorrow!

A single stage controller works if you *know* that you will need only heat or cooling but not both. I went with the 2 stage. It was only $12 more than the single stage. I use a chest freezer with a brew belt around the fermenter. Plug both into a duplex receptacle I wired up to the 2 stage temp controller. Set both stages to the same temp. each stage "swings" 3 degrees and there is a lockout that prevents both stages from coming on at once. The biggest problem I had was getting the sensor to read the bucket instead of the ambient air. Finally stuck the sensor into the side of a piece of closed cell insulation and duct taped it to the side of the fermenter.

Back