flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legions

Reaction score
I have brewed four batches of beer up until now, my problem is that my last two batches (Imperial Mild and Waldo Lake Amber, both from Northern Brewer) have been flat, with almost no carbonation.
I don't think I did anything different from the first two batches or made any major mistakes.
My question is: do any of you have any ideas about what could have caused this?

How much priming sugar did you use? And how long did they sit at 70 degrees (or above) before testing?

There isn't anything unusual about those recipes, so it shouldn't be recipe related.

How much priming sugar did you use? And how long did they sit at 70 degrees (or above) before testing?

There isn't anything unusual about those recipes, so it shouldn't be recipe related.

I used the 5 oz. bag that came with the kit, mixed it with 0.5 liters of water (as instructed by 'The Complete Joy of Home Brewing') and brought it to a boil.
I then added it to the bottom of the empty bottling bucket and siphoned the batch into it, and proceeded to bottle.

I used the 5 oz. bag that came with the kit, mixed it with 0.5 liters of water (as instructed by 'The Complete Joy of Home Brewing') and brought it to a boil.
I then added it to the bottom of the empty bottling bucket and siphoned the batch into it, and proceeded to bottle.

How long have they been at 70 degrees or above?

Also, did you let the sugar solution cool before adding it? If not, you may have shocked the yeast a bit, although it'd have to have been pretty hot for 1L to raise the temp enough to shock yeast. Yooper's prolly onto something.... Did they go long enough to carb (3-4 weeks at 70*)? did you let them sit in the fridge for a day or two before trying them? (cold beer absorbs co2 better)

They sat at 70 degrees for about a week and a half, which according to the book I've been using (The Complete Joy of Home Brewing) is more than enough time to carbonate.
But they require 3-4 weeks you say?

I would have gotten back on here sooner to see your replies but I was camping, with that said, all of the beers I've had since I returned from my camping trip have been well carbonated. It must have been a time issue.

Thanks guys :) you're help is always much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions on my next batch, any suggestions?

Well,after FG is reached,I let the beer sit on the yeast cake for a week or so to let the yeast clean up their by-products,& clear to a haze. Then put the right amount of priming sugar into 2C of boiled water,stiring till it clears again off the heat.
Then cool it down to 70-ish. I rack a couple inches of ale into the bottling bucket before pouring the priming solution into it slowly right at the surface.
When racking is finished,I stir the lot gently 12 times or so to make sure it's all mixed well. Then bottle. I put the filled/caped bottles in sturdy cardboard boxes with the flaps closed. 70-ish for 3-4 weeks. Works well so far...:mug:

But they require 3-4 weeks you say?

Yep. Some beers may take a bit longer. Bottle conditioned beers also benefit from a couple days in the fridge after conditioning to allow the co2 to dissolve properly.
'the complete joy of homebrewing' is a great book, taught me and alot of people out there to brew great beer. But it is a little bit dated, even the newer edition, and has some info that is now inaccurate. I remember reading the 1-2 weeks for bottle conditioning and thinking that's not too bad. Experience now tells me 3-4 weeks for avg gravity beers to carbonate, then 48-72 hours in the fridge. Lot longer than a week or two, but worth the wait.

I had some that were slow carbing, turned the bottles upside down and back, after a couple of more days, they were magically carbonated

This is why I started bulk priming. With the dextrose completely dissolved in water,it wont settle out. Just have to make sure it's mixed as evenly as possible with the fermented beer.
And use a bottling wand. Less chance of mixing in o2 at this point. I think they carb/condition a bit faster with a priming solution. I gave up on cooper's carb drops. By the time the ale is in the bottles about 7 weeks,thye're over-carbonated,with that co2 bite. Not to mention,soda pop bubbles & head. Never more,I say.

Back