Some questions on Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Added gelatin to my APA this past Saturday. I had cold crashed for 2 days prior. Based on what I had read around here, I added 1/2 tsp of unflavored knox gelatin to about a cup of cold water, let it bloom for 20 minutes, heated to 170 and then added to the beer.

Two days have passed and the beer looks exactly the same. I'm wondering how long it takes to see the effects of gelatin. From reading around here, most people seem to say that in 24-48 hours their beer is clear to the point that they can make our their fingerprints through the carboy. Is this a typical amount of time for those results? Or will I not normally see anything until the beer is kegged and finished? Additionally, is the method I used a good one? Maybe I needed more gelatin? Or maybe I just need to relax and open a beer?

Thanks in advance.

Would it be a good idea to prepare some more - making the total equal 1/2 tbls instead of tsp? Or would it be better to just wait it out. Was hoping to keg this batch sometime this week - but there's really no reason why I have to.

0.5 tsp should be good. I usually transfer the beer into a conditioning vessel from the fermenter. I add the gelatin and water first and put the beer on top of it to mix well.

Your beer will clear up, it just will take a bit longer for the gelatin to attract the proteins since it is mostly just floating on top now.

I use 1/2 tsp in about 1/2 cup of water. When you heat up to 170, make sure you stir to dissolve all the pieces before adding to the beer. I've been adding gelatin to corny kegs and notice it takes 3-5 days before I get clear beer.

Back