Plastic Bucket Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses a Drum Tap in there Plastic Bucket Fermentors? If so, how far up do you have it from the bottom of the bucket?

I have one fermented with a drum tap, the brakect on the tap keeps me about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom. Keeps me above the sediment, but you get a noticeable loss.

All of my pails have taps. What I'll do is put a 2x4 under the pail below the tap while the beer is clearing. That puts a tilt on the trub. When it's time to rack, I carefully move the 2x4 to the other side.

All of my pails have taps. What I'll do is put a 2x4 under the pail below the tap while the beer is clearing. That puts a tilt on the trub. When it's time to rack, I carefully move the 2x4 to the other side.

I know someone who does this. Seems odd to go into his basement, and there are all these plastic buckets tilted up. But- it seems to work.

After looking up what a drum tap was.... It's like a bottling spigot.

I use a bottling spigot but hey they are similar so I'm assuming they are the same on the inside of the bucket.

Using a #1 bung (pretty sure that's the size) over a shortened racking cane holds your dip tube in place. I do this with the canes yeast saver in place, that's the little orange or black cap thingy...

300x300.jpg

See more here: http://ipb.trainerfamily.net/pagesmith/4

There is no need to tip the bucket....

I've had LHBS owners look at me like there were frogs dancing on my head when I asked for a plastic bottling spigot with a racking arm attachment. This is a very good DIY solution, will be putting this to use this weekend, thanks.

Back