Newbie - Turbo Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkes777

Reaction score
Hi HBT :)

This is my first time here and will be my first time brewing :) But i need some advice.
As i said i want to start brewing my own cider. Iv been looking around for a while at other posts and have decided i would like to start off by making some "Turbo Cider" as it sounds simple and i just want to get to grips with the whole Brewing scene first.

Is there a basic recipe i could use as a beginner to follow? iv heard adding sugar will make a stronger cider but adding too much can ruin it completely so how much is enough? And will using bread yeast be ok for Turbo Cider or would it be worth grabbing another type?

I Have a 1 Gallon DJ btw. If anybody would be kind enough to link me to or post a step by step Recipe that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot In Advance

Buy any ale, cider, or wine yeast, they will all do better then bread yeast. I can promise you that though personal experience. Ale and cider yeasts have better chances of leaving some residual sweetness, but don't expect much, because it is easy to ferment cider to complete dryness. Also, don't add sugar. It not only ups the abv and makes the cider dryer, but it also means longer fermentation and longer aging.

Buy some good preservative free juice or cider, pitch your yeast and wait. You can rehydrate your yeast, but I don't find it necessary. Make sure you have a bung and airlock on your gal. jug, the co2 has to be able to escape as it is being produced.

Also, don't expect anything "turbo". If you ferment just straight juice, it should finish fermenting in just a few weeks. Once it is completely clear, as in you can read a newspaper through the jug (if its glass or at least clear) then you can bottle. You can drink it as soon as you want, but the longer you wait, I promise you the better it will taste.

18 years old is old enough in the UK to brew. It's fine.

I'd try just fermenting the cider without sugar at first- that way you can see the process and it'll be pretty quick and easy and give you about 5-6% ABV cider.

After that if you want to experiment, then you have the basics down.

I'm guessing if they are willing to use bread yeast, they are not of age

Yooper Moderator powers to the rescue!

But back to the OP, yeah I still suggest just fermenting the juice with yeast, no sugar added. It gives you a better idea of the hobby, the brew, without over complicating things.

I DO know where they are from. So, let's leave this ok.

From here on, everyone please either offer helpful advice or refrain from posting remarks.

I thought I was being helpful...we warn people about not discussing distilling etc., why not age requirements for brewing?

Many people don't list where they live in their profiles. In this case the person only listed age as 18, which as we all know, is illegal for brewing in the US.

If the OP had posted they are from outside the US then I would have remained silent on the matter. Just because you know where they are from doesn't mean everyone knows.

If you think I wasn't trying to be helpful...then you're wrong on several levels especially since you are trying to tell me I can't post a remark.

If I see something I think is wrong I will speak up. And I think your comments are wrong.

If you think you are right then show me where in my own words where I did/said something you don't like:

"You don't say where you are from.

Looking at your profile you're an 18 yo female.

If this is true then it's illegal for you to make any alcohol. "

As far as I can deduce, the majority of HBT members live in the US. Therefore, it is illegal for anyone to brew until age 21.

I thought I was being helpful...we warn people about not discussing distilling etc., why not age requirements for brewing?

Many people don't list where they live in their profiles. In this case the person only listed age as 18, which as we all know, is illegal for brewing in the US.

If the OP had posted they are from outside the US then I would have remained silent on the matter. Just because you know where they are from doesn't mean everyone knows.

If you think I wasn't trying to be helpful...then you're wrong on several levels especially since you are trying to tell me I can't post a remark.

If I see something I think is wrong I will speak up. And I think your comments are wrong.

If you think you are right then show me where in my own words where I did/said something you don't like:

"You don't say where you are from.

Looking at your profile you're an 18 yo female.

If this is true then it's illegal for you to make any alcohol. "

As far as I can deduce, the majority of HBT members live in the US. Therefore, it is illegal for anyone to brew until age 21.

I wasn't addressing my remarks to you at all, HB! I think that your remarks were not out of line at all- that's why I simply stated that were from the UK. We do check these things out, and of course anyone illegal is banned. They must affirm that they are legal in the country they are in when they register.

I was referring more to remarks about "underage drinking is good", etc. OT stuff like that.

I wasn't addressing my remarks to you at all, HB! I think that your remarks were not out of line at all- that's why I simply stated that were from the UK. We do check these things out, and of course anyone illegal is banned. They must affirm that they are legal in the country they are in when they register.

I was referring more to remarks about "underage drinking is good", etc. OT stuff like that.
OKIE DOKIE...:mug:

So, in the future should we assume that all members are legal?

OKIE DOKIE...:mug:

So, in the future should we assume that all members are legal?

Oh, no, not at all! We appreciate a heads up, and then we can see where they are located. In fact, if you suspect someone of being underaged you can even it the "report post" button and we can respond to it even if we don't see the post the first time. There are so many posts on here every day that it's impossible to read each one.

As i can see i have caused a bit of a stir :) So have changed my details to show that i am from outside the US and am infact from England. The Reason that i have started brewing is mainly due to the fact that i can actually Legally do it.

Anyway thanks alot for the feedback. i think i will try without sugar first just to see what happens for my first time.

Also for future reference, i understand that by making the cider "Fizzy" that it is called "Priming" or thats what i have picked up atleast and this is done when the cider has been bottled. And what i would like to know is wether the type of bottle i do this in can effect anything. E.g. if i use a plastic bottle with a screw on top(Like a Coka-Cola bottle), will it just simple explode from a build up of gas?

Thanks again :)

Edit: I Have Also just brought some Young's Cider Yeast so if anybody has used this and has any feedback on it that would be great. Ofc i can make my own decisions about it when i have used it but as it is my first time i do not have anything to compare it to :)

I bottle in plastic Coke bottles some times. They actually seem to be a bit stronger than glass some times.
I think the Youngs yeast will serve you well, and I've got to add support to Yooper and Tusch. Give the juice a try with just the yeast. Also give it some time if it doesn't taste good at first.

To clarify, since I'm not exactly sure how much about carbonation you know yet.

Ferment your cider completely, including time for it to become crystal clear. The rule of thumb for clear, is that you can read a newspaper through the carboy. You can rack, a term meaning siphon, your brew to a new carboy whenever you have 1/4" or more sediment. This allows you to removed as much clear liduid as possible without bring the sediment along with you. When it is clear and done, you can prepare to bottle. Just boil your priming sugar (about 1oz per gallon of cider) in some water, just enough to dissolve it, a cup or two. Add this to a bucket and rack your cider into this container. This will mix the cider with the new sugar. Then just bottle from here, there will be enough yeast in solution, even if you can't see it, to ferment the priming sugar, creating more co2 to carbonate your cider. Hence, a fizzy brew.

Thanks alot everyone who has replied.
You'v answered all my questions and cleared up ALOT of things for me so thank you for that. I will Post back as i am brewing it, with any questions that may arise.

Great community here. Thanks again :)

Yeah best of luck. The most important thing is sanitation, if you sanitize everything it is hard to make a bad brew. Keep us updated and include pictures! I am easily amused by pretty pictures.

Back