Anyone Use Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeforchili

Reaction score
I've used it in cider before but never beer...i have 3lbs of it and have no use for it. Suggestions? Recipes?

Use the search function and you'll find plenty of info, there's been a new thread on that topic posted the last 3 days (including one an hour ago) and even a couple last week....there's plenty of info here on it, and recipes.

:mug:

ive used it in Charlie Papazian's Belgian Grand Cru recipe (bought as a kit from Northern Brewer, but I think its literally the same recipe or really close).

i added 2 lbs of wheat DME to that recipe and the combination of the wheat and honey was nice, though definitely a touch of sweetness is noticeable in the beer. I think a large part of it depends on when you dump the honey into the boil.

Honey is definitely liquid gold. I recommend reading How To Brew....then adding honey to the appropriate beers......i.e. Stout, Pale Ale, Dubbel, etc. Or...make a mead...or....add it to Edwort's Apfelwein as I just tried (awesome.....takes even longer, but it's SO worth it.....).....;)

I use honey in several beers as well as cider. It will add 1% abv per pound. Takes a little longer to ferment and condition, but well worth the wait

I recently did a Honey IPA with 2.5 lbs honey and a Honey Brown with 2.5 lbs as well.
Thought it would be a great idea to add gravity since I have a small mashtun. I will probably age them for a while. Will probably be great this summer. OGs were 1.066 and 1.062. Everyone should make, consume, and distribute Mead, it's great.

I use honey in over half of my recipes. It combines nicely with wheats or brown ales. Like about 1-2# max per 5 gal batch.

Back