Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled a "quality control" pint as I'm trying to save it for my party on Saturday to serve along side a Nitro'd Oatmeal Stout, and I gotta say this is a stellar recipe. Good on you.

I did sub the Cascade for Centennial, but the rest is the same.

Deep toasted caramel/toffee malty goodness. Beautiful deep deep red and some nice lacing on the glass.

awesome!! glad ya like this one.
:ban:

Pulled my first pint during my brew day last night.

ForumRunner_20130313_145435.jpg

Brewing this for the second time. Would have posted pics of the first batch but went through it in one night thanks to poker. This is an awesome brew. I'm gonna dry hop with this batch. I have warrior, centennial, cascade and tettnang. Any suggestions on which one and how much???

Brewing this for the second time. Would have posted pics of the first batch but went through it in one night thanks to poker. This is an awesome brew. I'm gonna dry hop with this batch. I have warrior, centennial, cascade and tettnang. Any suggestions on which one and how much???

if you're trying for an American Amber type beer by dry hopping, I would go with either Centennial or Cascade or both. Depending on how Hoppy you want the aroma, 1oz for 7 days to 2oz for 7 day. should be plenty. My last beer I dry hopped I did 2oz of Citra for 7 days and was happy with that.

Thanks mystic. Not trying for any style in particular. Perfecting it to my enjoyment since I'm pretty sure its gonna be a staple in my rotation. Going to try the two ounces for a week and go from there. Love this brew man good job!!!

Getting better every day, I brewed it 7 weeks ago. Beautiful color, great taste. I used the Maris otter and BIAB. Nice malty, biscuity flavor. Exactly what i was looking for! Thanks Mystic Mead!

Thanks mystic. Not trying for any style in particular. Perfecting it to my enjoyment since I'm pretty sure its gonna be a staple in my rotation. Going to try the two ounces for a week and go from there. Love this brew man good job!!!

Getting better every day, I brewed it 7 weeks ago. Beautiful color, great taste. I used the Maris otter and BIAB. Nice malty, biscuity flavor. Exactly what i was looking for! Thanks Mystic Mead!

glad you guys like it. it really is one of my favorite brews.

Found this a couple weeks ago, looked like a good recipe, so I brewed it today. I used Tradition Hops and Centennial since I had them and I adjusted the ad time to come out with the same IBU's . My LHBS was out of WLP0001 yeast , but had San Diego WLP090, so I used that. Now I'm just waiting for my ferm chamber to chill the wort down to 65 Dg so I can pitch. Depending on the taste, I may dry hop, well just because I am a Hop head, and love hop flavor on top, with a smaller amount of bitterness.

I don't have very much of this left...and want to reserve as much as I can, but once you have one, you just have to have another :)

So, bottled this last Sunday. I pulled a tiny bit to taste test, then immediately sanitized a glass to dunk in and pull half a pint out. Flat and luke warm this beer is still awesome. I was really impressed how balanced the hops and malts were. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can be upset they all disappeared in a week.

So, bottled this last Sunday. I pulled a tiny bit to taste test, then immediately sanitized a glass to dunk in and pull half a pint out. Flat and luke warm this beer is still awesome. I was really impressed how balanced the hops and malts were. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can be upset they all disappeared in a week.

to prevent being upset at how fast they disappear, start brewing another batch now :)

This is a wonderful beer! I have my third batch in primary. Gotta figure out if my system can handle a 10 gallon batch.

Cracked my first bottle of this open while brewing..... Holy crap. Awesome! Not sure how much of the honey flavor came through with the original recipe but I swapped honey for honey malt and brown sugar, and the little bit of a sweet hint balances well. Holy moly OP, amazing recipe. Thanks again! I pulled another three out of the closet to chill as soon as I opened the first one, too bad the batch isn't not going to last long.

Cracked my first bottle of this open while brewing..... Holy crap. Awesome! Not sure how much of the honey flavor came through with the original recipe but I swapped honey for honey malt and brown sugar, and the little bit of a sweet hint balances well. Holy moly OP, amazing recipe. Thanks again! I pulled another three out of the closet to chill as soon as I opened the first one, too bad the batch isn't not going to last long.

glad ya liked it :) it goes even faster when you share with your friends... :mug:

I hear that. Posted up on Facebook how great it was and everyone wants a bottle, at least most of the guys asking are brewing as well, it's tradin' time!

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of this today with my brew buddies. Came in a little high on the OG at 1.066. We pitched Nottingham in 5 gallons and 1056 in the other 5. Can't wait until it's ready!

Got my third batch into primary on Thursday. If I wasn't so into trying new things I'd make this, "Happy Wife Pale Ale" and a nice brown ale on a constant rotation.

Not only is it a great beer, but it's also super fast beer. I've brewed it twice in the last 2 months. The first time I went from grain to glass (via keg) in about 3 weeks. Then that keg was kicked when it was actually saved for a party. So I rebrewed it and served in 9 days. Just as awesome - thank you controlled fermentation temps! Here's a pic of the second keg.

234508c6969411e2972d22000aa82023_6.jpg

Not only is it a great beer, but it's also super fast beer. I've brewed it twice in the last 2 months. The first time I went from grain to glass (via keg) in about 3 weeks. Then that keg was kicked when it was actually saved for a party. So I rebrewed it and served in 9 days. Just as awesome - thank you controlled fermentation temps! Here's a pic of the second keg.

The color of that beer looks amazing! I think I am going to brew this tomorrow.

awesome looking beer :) glad ya like it as much as I do.

I've bern loving this beer, debating on whether I want to brew something new or make my first repeat batch... This is already almost gone.

Anyone brewed this with and without the honey? Made 10 gallons with the honey and it tastes great. I was thinking of making it without in order to help drop the alcohol, so my wife can have a few more. Does it taste the same?

Anyone brewed this with and without the honey? Made 10 gallons with the honey and it tastes great. I was thinking of making it without in order to help drop the alcohol, so my wife can have a few more. Does it taste the same?

yep... taste the same. 1lb of honey isn't enough to add much if any flavor. it just boosts the abv a bit.

Dhinds10583 said:

I did it with honey malt and brown sugar and it came out awesome.

Bad Horse, how much honey malt and brown sugar did you use? Sorry if you already posted this info.

I thought I put it up here but I can't find it to make sure, I am 90% sure I used a pound of honey malt and a pound of brown sugar, my reasoning was to keep the alcohol content and actually give a good honey flavor to it. I love the way it tastes and everyone I give a bottle to is raving about it. Not sure how it's supposed to taste without it, but I'm already down to my last eight bottles. Thinking of brewing this tomorrow again and tossing some biscuit malt into it.

Back