Swmbo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
I want to dedicate this thread to SWMBO!!!!

My SWMBO is very supportive, drink any and all beer placed in her glass. She will also help out during brew day, AND enjoys the smells of brewing.

Tell us about your SWMBO!

My wife doesn't like beer, doesn't drink beer, doesn't like the smell of me brewing beer. But she puts up with my hobby and listens to all my beer ramblings even though she probably couldn't care any less. And she does help me carry my keggle to and from the burner outside on brew day.
I have nothing to complain about. But she probably does. :D

Same as WesleyS. Doesn't drink, doesn't like the smells yada yada. She DID however purchase almost everything for my kegerator. Bought me many kits when I was doing extract. even leaves me the Eff alone when I'm watching football and brewing in the garage on Sundays.

Not much to complain about.

MAN, I love that SWMBO!!!

Mine likes beer, except she is currently pregnant and the smell of brew day isn't agreeing with her too much. Kind of a bummer because she was right at my side until the hops addition. We've had to come to an agreement that until the next little one is born, brew days are only for when I have the house to myself for a couple hours. She is probably sick of hearing me talk about the new interesting new tidbit I've learned on here, but she feigns interest, mostly because I'm so excited about my new hobby. Anyway, I'm a lucky guy!

Same as those above. She hates beer but tolerates my hobby mostly because if I'm brewing beer I'm not annoying her! :drunk:

Mine drinks Corona light... exclusively. On a bright note, she could care less how much I brew or how much I spend brewing. :D

I brew IPAs exclusively and she hates them.. Never says a word when the packages show up in the mail, never says a thing about my gear in the kitchen or my trips to the LHBS and is cool with watching the kids on brew day. She's a keeper.

My wife rarely drinks and cannot stand the wonderful smells of brewing. But she listens to me expounding on yeast and hops and such so I am thinking she is a keeper.

I still wonder how I got so lucky:D

Wtf is a swmbo? why cant we just call them our spouse. that being said my wife puts up with my constant talk about beer, is a sounding board for my ideas and concerns, and a taste tester for completed brews. Also she supports my spending habits, which is nice :)

My wife enjoys most of the beers I have made. She is supportive but doesn't like the fact that I have been spending a lot of money lately getting everything going again and converting to All Grain and bigger boils.

However she does listen to my ramblings and will even pick up supplies from time to time.

I Love My Wife, She loves the smell of brew day, calls me from store if new beer comes out to see if I want it. Doesn't complain when we are out of town and I want to hit as many brewery's as I can and ask's when me and her can have a brew day. I spend a lot on brewing for me and my friends and she is the best!!!!! About it. Even take my friends wife's out SHOPING so we can brew all day. She gets headache's from ever Liqure or beer except mine. She is great!

Wow, I'm starting to get jealous! My SWSBOIIPOSWBES (She Who Should Be Obeyed If I Plan On Sleeping With Both Eyes Shut) doesn't drink, wonders why I do, thinks it's a wast of time to brew my own, been fooled into thinking it only costs $10 to brew a batch to get her off my back, and fake gags if she walks through when I'm cutting open a bag of hops. Other than that, she's very supportive.:D That being said, she has MANY redeeming qualities, and I'm lucky to have her. Beer just happens NOT to be one of them!

My gf's awesome!!! She likes beer and likes trying new beer. Yay for me.. she does not like the smell of brewing but doesnt care when I brew. She has a good pallet so she can help me with tastings. She gives me good ideas about what I can make.

However she doesnt drink that much. Says it defeats the purpose of the gym. But she will listen to me ramble about why I need 4.5gal of water for my mash and why I want to sparge with 3.5gal to get a pre boil volume of 6.5gal to get the right SG, sooo shes a keeper!!!

My wife doesn't drink what I brew, but that's because she's mostly a wine drinker. When she does drink beer, it's BMC. Other than the BMC thing though, she couldn't be better or more supportive of me about brewing. She's been behind it since day one. She's actually the first one to promote my beer to new guests who come to the house for the first time. And she usually leads the tour of the kegerator and brewing equipment closet.

On the whole SWMBO thing though, I know it's mostly in fun, but honestly, and not to derail this thread, but how many of you would stop brewing beer and drinking it if SWMBO said "No more!" I would laugh and commence brewing.

My wife is pretty awesome. She is pretty supportive of my new hobby of brewing beer as well as my other hobbies. I guess after letting me keep and breed 100+ pythons in our converted garage it is pretty easy for her to support this. Her family is really supportive as well I guess my father in law found out I wanted to try and Irish stout next and got me the brewers best Irish stout kit for Christmas.

My SWMBO loves the brewing smells, and so far has named my first two beers... "Pringles", "brownies"

how many of you would stop brewing beer and drinking it if SWMBO said "No more!" I would laugh and commence brewing.

she's tried a couple times. i'm usually very laid back and easy-going. i say ok to most things she says because mostly i don't care about piddly things. when she demanded i stop brewing, i looked at her with a straight face, and said no, in a very calm voice. she hasn't tried to make me stop since then, and never complains anymore when i brew now, maybe just asking when i'll be finished. maybe there was some weird look in my eyes...

My wife loves craft beer and drinks pretty much anytihng I brew. We've done brewery tours together and spend alot of money together on craft beer. She bought me a 20gal laundry tub for Christmas so I'm better set up to brew in the basement out on the back porch. She even bought a skimpy beer waitress outfit and a Rogue set of flight glasses and plays beer games with me.
Oh yeah she's awesome!

Mine doesn't like beer, and doesn't like the smell of brewing. But more and more, when I pour a glass of homebrew she wants to try it, and now she'll actually keep on trying it, because she says it's better than anything we've bought. And now she suggests days when it'd be good to brew, even if I'm not planning one.
Still waiting on the skimpy beer waitress outfit though. LOL

My lady loves my homebrewing. She helps out on brew days and she wants to do an chocolate coffee stout that'll be ready for her birthday.

We are dating and she doesn't live with me so it's my mess to clean after brewing. If we lived together, it would probably be more of the same because she likes beer...

Also, are there no mods up this late?

Im sorry to the OP your thread got hijacked. Let me help by getting it back on topic. My awesome gf gave me the idea for a imperial stout for st. Pattys day. She liked an espresso stout she tried before. So I might do an imperial coffee stout.

Gfs/wives/swmbo they are all what we live for and they tolerate so much from us.

Cheers!

My wife is also amazing, and her support of brewing is only one reason. She doesn't drink a lot of my beer (calories) unless we're having a party, but she tries it all happily. Like many others, she dislikes the smell of brewing, but supported me switching to 10gal all-grain set up for outdoor brewing and brags to people about my beer and my kegerator :)

I simply don't use the SWMBO acronym. (Well, I DO love making up funny fake phrases, but that's different!) I use the term wife. To each their own.

My wife is very supportive, even though I know my attention to my hobby sometimes irritates her. She really doesn't care much for beer. She is just starting to get into wine more, and has had "some" beer that she could tolerate.

Could I ask her to be even more awesome? Yes. Would I? No. She is who she is and I have no interest in changing her to match my imaginary ideal women. Besides, the agumentation surgery would cost a fortune! <rimshot!>

But seriously, I will raise a glass for her putting up with my acquisitions and impulsive moments.

My fiancée is not a beer person per se. She likes certain beers and she loves the smell of beer. She isn't a fan of how brew day smells and how it lingers but I love it so it is what it is. Luckily she supports my hobby because I enjoy it so much. She listens to me babble but I have cut back on my chatting about it cause I can tell it gets old. She even said it seems like all you care about is beer because that's all you talk about lol. At least she supports me and let's me buy whatever equipment I state I need. So here's to all our significant others!

My wife will drink a beer now and then, but she enjoys wine a lot more. My solution? Buy a wine starter kit and the most expensive chardonnay kit my lhbs had to offer. this way when I'm checking on my beer, I'm also making sure things are going well with her wine and my hobby is not just for me.

Not only is my wife a beer drinker, she's also my harshest critic. "Well this tastes alright, but it's not as good as your Belgian Pale." As a result 25% of everything I brew has been that recipe to ensure her continued interest in my hobby. She fully supports everything brew related (taking over half the basement, fermentation chamber construction, beer fridge), but I've been pushed to the garage for brew days. During and now after her pregnancy she just can't deal with the smell. Not really a problem with the new propane set up anyway. But our relationship was rooted in beer from the beginning, so her enjoyment of my hobby isn't a surprise.

My wife is great.. She does not like beer and even seems to have an adverse reaction to mass produced alcohol in general. She wanted to see me spend less time bottling and having bottles "all over the kithen" and suggested if there was a way to get rid of the mess then go for it.. 6 kegs and a chest freezer later.. No bottles :O .. She has always been supportive and never said anything negative about my hobby.. Even recently I had a little concern with health and needed to cleanup my "living", and the boss said "I know that the beer stays so what do you want to change?". Now no red meat and mainly veggies with fish or chicken at every meal, and her and the kids simply joined in to make it easier. My SWMBO is the best and laughs when I help plan vacations stays around (within walking distance) of brew pubs where possible.

My gf drinks both beer and wine and will always taste test any beer I brew. She, so far, has been very supportive of my new hobby and will listen to my ramblings. She does get tired of the bottles everywhere but is excited about the future keezer build (probably because of the lack of bottles). I also started brewing from day one out in the garage, so that may have helped. :mug:

So am I the only one who's wife also brews? And I'm not talking right there next to me (which is absolutely fine), but completely on her own. She was the one that suggested we get into making wine. We also both run a homebrew club together. It is quite nice not to have to talk her into buying brewing equipment, just "sure, sounds good". And I'm pretty sure the LHBS knows her better than they know me!

Clonefan94 said:
On the whole SWMBO thing though, I know it's mostly in fun, but honestly, and not to derail this thread, but how many of you would stop brewing beer and drinking it if SWMBO said "No more!" I would laugh and commence brewing.

I'm with you. My wife doesn't like any beer, but she's been great about me brewing and buying equipment. I've been brewing almost 2yrs, but she's convinced it's a "phase" lol

I like having SWMBO involved in the hobby with me. We have pretty much done everything together from reading our first book to taking a starter class on brewing. She loves brewery tours, and brewing demo's just like I do. My only complaint would have to her reluctance to try new styles at more than a sip. One sip and she's ruled out IPA, stout, bock, porter and ESB. We share our love of wheat and hefewiezen so I guess its all good!

Raising a pint to SWMBO! :)

My wife loves the term SWMBO. I've told her what it means, she knows its endearing plus she gets a little kick off the "power" associated with it but asks if shes being a good SWMBO. She also does not drink beer at all, and rarely drinks in general. But shes supportive, knows I get joy out of it and will sometimes push me a little to get something I've wanted (example being a new nitro tap set up). She's very smart so when I'm explaining brewing processes or equipment out of context and it looks like shes glazing over she can piece it together and recite it back to me months later and ask intelligent questions about it.

My fiancée has been very supportive. She's always happy to spend time with me, no matter what I might be doing, so brew day will be a team effort. I like that, because it means I have an extra pair of hands and eyes.

Her only concern has been the money part, because neither one of us really makes that much. She told me yesterday that if I don't have enough for our honey moon, she's going to be ticked off at my beer. Oh, and she wants me to drink less so we can lose some weight -- which is something I was already planning anyway. But really, both of those things are good things.

As for the "obey" part, well... If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I'll try to keep her happy. ;)

Mine is supportive as well. She detests the smell of brewdays, which is why when weather permits, I have to do it outside. Other than that, she has no complaints about the carboys in the living room closet or things like that, as long as every couple of batches there is a cider for her to drink. 4 batches of Drunken Emu and a Graff later, A happy and tolerant SWMBO indeed.

I always make SWMBO sample my brews even though she does not like beer. I can tell how good it it by the face that she pulls after tasting it.

Latest posts

Back