1st wine kit - Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavidw

Reaction score
I am going to make my first wine kit. It's the World Vineyard 10L Australian Shiraz kit. For beer and cider, I typically make a yeast starter and sit it on a stir plate for a day or two. Should I make a starter for the wine kit also? If so, do I just use regular store grape juice? Do I add any water or sugar to the starter? Do I boil it? Thanks!

rdavidw said:
I am going to make my first wine kit. It's the World Vineyard 10L Australian Shiraz kit. For beer and cider, I typically make a yeast starter and sit it on a stir plate for a day or two. Should I make a starter for the wine kit also? If so, do I just use regular store grape juice? Do I add any water or sugar to the starter? Do I boil it? Thanks!

Follow the instructions of the kit, but I believe it will tell you to sprinkle the yeast right into the juice. Make sure your must is at the right temperature.

If using dry yeast, just sprinkle on top per instructions. I was amazed at how quickly it started up (brewer here mostly).

Yeast is formulated in specific ways. You really should follow the instructions with the yeast. Some require a starter method, while others are meant to be sprinkled over the top of the must. Quite simple either way...no reason to make it so complicated.

Back