Gravity reading seems high after transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4traindays

Reaction score
Brewing a milk stout, transferred to secondary after 15 days in primary. Og reading @ 1.058, reading at transfer @ 1.022. This seems high to me. Can I rep itch with dry yeast to get it to come down? Temp has been 64-67 the entire time, used safale 04.

Everyone will tell you that is normal for an extract kit. Did you use lme, dme, both? I guess lme is the worst and has a high percentage of non fermetables. You could probably repitch and it might come down a little bit. Everyone else has told me to bottle it cause that's as good as it gets with extract sometimes.

Agreed Lactose + LME = high final gravity. Give it two days and if it is still at 1.022 then fermentation is complete. If you like the taste, then bottle of, if it is too sweet there are options. Use of refractometers for final gravity also lead to inaccurate readings.

Yep, I Used 8lbs lme and 1 lb lactose. Tasted it during transfer, not too sweet at all. Plan on adding cold pressed coffee to it as well. Thanks.

If I were to rebrew this beer in the future, should I double pitch the yeast to get the gravity to drop. Are there any others options to increase alcohol %. Thanks for your advice.

Double pitching will increase the speed at which you get to final gravity, but it's not going to change the final gravity. If you want to lower the FG then substitute some of the malt with sugar, or use a higher attenuating yeast.

In a study done by Ray Daniels he found that liquid Malt extract varies from 44.4% to 64.1% ferment able.

Switch to DME if you want to see a difference. Double yeast would be like driving 120 not 60 mph. DME vs lme is like cheavy vs ford.

Latest posts

Back