S-04 ale yeast fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
just brewed a partial mash NB oatmeal stout with s-04 yeast SG 1049
i noticed the fermentation on this one is really fast, the krausen was only there for a day. still bubbling away. temp is around 67 deg
pitched yeast around 2 pm on sunday, is this normal for this yeast? thanks

securedownload-6.jpeg

securedownload-7.jpeg

securedownload-8.jpeg

Haha. Man, I just had a monstrously quick fermentation with S-04.
Of course, I have no idea what my pitching temp was because my thermometer was all over the place. But it was definitely high!
Also got up to 72F in the room overnight.
Anyway, krausen was gushing out the top by the next morning, but all visible activity (sans an occasional airlock bubble) stopped but the time I got home from work!
Strangely enough, I've got krausen gunk stuck all over the glass in the bottle's headspace, but I attribute that to the fact that it was a BIAB batch with no straining (tons of trub).

The krausen may be gone but that doesn't necessarily mean your fermentation is finished. You will need to take gravity readings to know that.

It's completely normal for that (and most English strains I've found) to be fast and vigorous fermentors that chew through wort like none other. That kit recipe is fantastic by the way, you'll love it. I went through my PM version keg way too quickly.

Figured it would be ok, I just ask Bc I did a esb with the same yeast, and it fermented a lot longer

S-04 is usually done in two to three days from the first signs of fermentation for 1.040-1.045 beers for me. It's also one of the worst yeast when it comes to the fermentation running wild: you really have to keep it in check or it'll get higher than 70F, which is, for most people, the very tail end of what I'd recommend. It gets very estery, and not necessarily in a pleasant way for most beers when it is fermented warm.

nope i was wrong the last yeast i pitched was us-05 in a pale ale, that one fermented a lot longer then the 04

Back