Boil kettle too big

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So my boil kettle is a little bit larger in diameter than most I see out there. And my OG comes out higher and my yield comes out lower than expected. I'm thinking that maybe my kettle is boiling off more water than others. Should I do something like use more water?

I ran into this problem when I bought my 15 gallon pot for 10 gallon batches. I got it at a discount from a friend who has a membership to a place that sells equipment directly to restaurants and such so I didnt get to pick it out myself. The increased surface area creates more boil-off than a more narrow/tall pot, which makes no difference other than an increased amount of boil-off. Just account for that in your pre-boil volume so that you hit your desired amount after your done. Maybe the increased amount of boil off is a good thing considering the fact that off-flavors go along with the steam.

[...]Maybe the increased amount of boil off is a good thing considering the fact that off-flavors go along with the steam.

I think a high boil-off rate would be a handy thing to have. It's easy enough to account for it to manage OG, and for high gravity AG brews a high boil off rate can cut hours off the brew day...

Cheers!

Use some software like beersmith.

Measure your pre boil, and post boil, and the time, and after a few times you'll find a reliable amount of boil off volume.. From then, you can adjust easily to get everything to come out right.

Do you think you could turn down the heat a bit? nice to know you can do it when needed, but you'll also get more melanoodins from the aggressive boil.

Back