Never tried Amarillo hops, how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
i've never had the chance to brew with amarillo hops, and was able to get 4oz at my LHBS. so i'm devising this recipe as a low alc beer as a yeast cake to dump a barleywine onto (multitasking :ban: )

8lbs 2row
2lbs munich
.5lbs 40l-60l (have some in the garage, can't recall which though)

OG 1.051ish

now since i was only able to obtain 4oz, this is what i'm planning

1oz simcoe @ 60
.5oz amarillo @ 15
.5oz amarillo @ 10
.5oz amarillo @ 5
.5oz amarillo @ 0
2oz amarillo @ DH 2 weeks

55ish IBUs

1056 Wyeast with a small starter
then 2-3 weeks later, make the barleywine and dump'er ontop..

how does that sound to get the full flavor of amarillo out? (only have 4oz or i'd bitter with it too)

Sounds Great! Amarillo is a great hop, resiny citrus aroma. Simcoe is similar to amarill as well, sound like a nice hoppy beer

ah crap, good point, forgot about that... i need to take my other beer out of primary in that case!

i'd consider doing first wort hopping with the simcoe

they 2 go so well together and you won't get much flavor from the 60min bittering addition.

if you are trying to just get the flavor of amarillo then disregard

Beer is in the keg from the last batch from a month ago.
Yeast starter is clackering away on the stir plate... lets see how this rolls!

Brew day is on! mashing in as we speak.
got 152 instead of 153.

looks like a very solid recipe. Amarillo hops are very enjoyable, I pick up at least a few ounce every time I see them in stock. . . I have a hop problem though. Wouldn't worry about 152 instead of 153. . .

Out of curiosity, Hop Union hops?

Not sure, my lhbs buys in massive bulk and packages their own. So its possible! Lol very smooth brew day though, wort tasted amazing and more fragrant then I was expecting. I'm happy!

And... instead of 1.051 I hit 1.062... that was with the refractometer and hydrometer at 60... that's twice in a row that high. Weird! But ill take it!

I would play an ounce at 5 minutes, another at 0 minutes and one more for the dry hop.

1oz simcoe @ 60
.5oz amarillo @ 15
.5oz amarillo @ 10
1.0oz amarillo @ 5
1.0oz amarillo @ 0
1.0oz amarillo @ DH 2 weeks

Not sure, my lhbs buys in massive bulk and packages their own. So its possible! Lol very smooth brew day though, wort tasted amazing and more fragrant then I was expecting. I'm happy!

My LHBS has started carrying hop union products and they are of excellent quality. The pre-packaged stuff is always over weight. eg 1 ounces packages are usually 1.1 to 1.3 ounces. gotta make sure to measure those puppies. an extra .3 ounces of a high alpha acid hop would make a big difference.

My lhbs does the same thing with their packaging. I picked up I think it was citra once and was almost an ounce extra lol I should try hop union though. But I love whole leaf hops and hop union at the lhbs were only pellets

Back