Today's Hot Scotchy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Glenmorangie Astar. So delicious it defies description.

glenmorangie.jpg

-Joe

I keep forgetting to make one each time I brew! I get so caught up in brewing that I forget to bring out the Scotch. Next time, I won't forget.

I have one of these:

jigger.jpg

I do a big side of wort + a small side of Scotch. Delicious every time. Also, traditionally I burn myself on the hot wort.

-Joe

nostalgia said:
Also, traditionally I burn myself on the hot wort.

-Joe

This made me guffaw..

I just run off some of the first runnings and add a shot of Bourbon.. It's delicious

Interesting...

I got a brew comign up soon (WAY overdue!) I'll have to try this. I have some cheap bourbon and some decent Spiced Rum.

Oh wait, I promised myself I would not be drinking during my next brew. :(

(Ok, just ONE beer to appease the brewing gods).

I just run off some of the first runnings and add a shot of Bourbon.. It's delicious

I'd love to try this, but I'm such a stickler about getting every last drop of wort that I don't know if I'll be able to part with even a shot of my first runnings.

Maybe I'll sparge with an extra couple shots of water, then pull that amount from my kettle before the boil?

I've actually just started getting in to scotch. What brands would you guys recommend?

Interesting...

I got a brew comign up soon (WAY overdue!) I'll have to try this. I have some cheap bourbon and some decent Spiced Rum.

Oh wait, I promised myself I would not be drinking during my next brew. :(

(Ok, just ONE beer to appease the brewing gods).

In my experience, using bourbon makes its waaaaay too sweet. So I'd assume rum would be even worse. Scotch would be my first choice, but I wouldn't waste expensive single malt, that'll get you beat up in scotland. :drunk:

In my experience, using bourbon makes its waaaaay too sweet. So I'd assume rum would be even worse. Scotch would be my first choice, but I wouldn't waste expensive single malt, that'll get you beat up in scotland. :drunk:
It's far from a waste :)

As for turkeyjerky, I'd recommend starting in the Highlands and Speyside region with something like the Macallan. Caol Ila is very nice and easy-drinking. If you're feeling more adventurous, check out Islay (prounounced "Ay-la", like island) malts like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig and Lagavulin - ranging from mild to aggressively peaty and smoky.

I haven't updated my whisky blog in a while, but there's some good information and whisky reviews up there.

-Joe

They're delicious with dark malt--I just made a stout with nice big black patent and roasted barley additions and I'm enjoying the results right now.

(Caveat: mine's a brandywort, not a hot scotchie per se. I don't think the differences affect how nicely the dark malts work.)

I've actually just started getting in to scotch. What brands would you guys recommend?

As stated above, I love the peaty scotches form the Islay region. They're just so tasty to me. Glennfidich (if I remember correctly) also makes a 15 yo single that gets finished in french sherry casks. It's to die for.

I drink mine with a single ice cube and dark chocolate to nibble on. Hershey's Special Dark broken up into tiny pieces, or Nestle chocolate chips......if you really wanna kick it up a notch, grab some snow caps. YUM!!!

I've tried this twice now, i like scotch, i like beer...just not together

:mug:

cool idea, just not for me.

i feel like the glen morangie just got wasted, but to each their own. Tomintoul 16 yr. is pretty good too and I just got a bottle of Glenrothes select reserve for xmas. pretty smooth as well.

So I understand this; You take a shot of hot wort (first running, after the sparge, during boil, after hops,. after boil?) and while the wort is still hot you mix it with a shot of scotch, bourbon, whiskey? (will Gentleman Jack work?) Then you drink it while it is still warm? .....
This I got to try...

Thanks

tried it a few weeks ago with wheat DME wort and a bit of johnny walker black (which i hate but was the only thing i had) It was fantastic! now i can actually use the bottle of JWB someone gave to me 3 years ago!

So I understand this; You take a shot of hot wort (first running, after the sparge, during boil, after hops,. after boil?) and while the wort is still hot you mix it with a shot of scotch, bourbon, whiskey? (will Gentleman Jack work?) Then you drink it while it is still warm? .....
This I got to try...
Yep. I usually proportion it 2 shots of wort to 1 shot of Scotch, but it's your drink, so make it how you like :)

-Joe

I haven't tried this but have heard about it. What kind of wort is best with the scotch? Chocolate blend? Basic 2-row with some caramel malt?

Not bad, not bad at all. Made my first hot scotchy yesterday with 2 shots of unhopped dubbel wort and a shot of JW Red. Tasted pretty good really and my wife liked it as well. I can only imagine what it would have tasted like with decent scotch.

Not a single whiskey drinker in the household (or family), so I was reluctant to buy a good scotch until I'd tried one. I'll give it a go next time.

Old thread revive!

I just finished a cold scotchie.

I brewed an ESB today and saved a pint or two of first runnings.

1/2 cup of sweet wort
1 shot Glenfiddich

Serve over ice.

Very nice!

I'll bump this necro thread.

Today's selection is Glenfiddich 12 with the sweet wort of my schwarzbier. This is delicious!

2014-08-09 09.38.37.jpg

Back