Bad stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ma23456

Reaction score
I need help!! My stove smokes and sets off the smoke detector with my 10 gal kettle and brewing outside is a no go... I have a one bedroom apt and I Need to brew ASAP I am in brew withdraw it's bad please help

I need help!! My stove smokes and sets off the smoke detector with my 10 gal kettle and brewing outside is a no go... I have a one bedroom apt and I Need to brew ASAP I am in brew withdraw it's bad please help

When I was living in an apartment at school I would go to BIAB small AG batches or full partial mash batches. I was more worried about all the weight on my stove than its ability to boil

If your stove is smoking there's probably something getting burnt. I assume it's electric... take out the elements and clean the discs underneath and the surface of the stove. There's gotta be caked on crap that's getting burnt.

I brew on my stove too. The first time it smoked like a mad man and turned te plate under the electric burner white but that stuff just wiped off later. The next time it wasn't as bad at all.

Brand new burner and plate... But the stove is old... Electrical stove but switching to electric brewing seems too expensive

Where, exactly, is the smoke coming from?

You could build a couple of heatsticks if you don't want to go modifying your brew kettle for electric. Just make sure you have enough separate GFCI protected outlets where you want to brew (one for each heatstick). I use one heatstick to help my electric stove, but I'd imagine two could get the water boiling (in a reasonable amount of time) on their own.

I can't find the smoke ... And elaborate more on these heat sticks which you speak of

Check out the DIY forum, there's info in there.... or do a search. You'd probably need at least 2 to do a boil... I'm not sure how much power you can draw in a typical kitchen outlet, you'll probably have to ask some questions to find out.

Personally I wrap foil UNDER two burners and up around the pot as insulation and it works well on my stove. I get smoke for about 5 seconds, then the foil 'settles in' and does its job.

If your stove smokes when you turn it on, it's totally unusable. Either get a new one or file a complaint with your landlord.

The landlord just replaced it Tuesday... Horrible landlord and I then bought a new burner alone works fine but with a huge pot which is 2 times the diameter it doesn't stand a chance

The landlord just replaced it Tuesday... Horrible landlord and I then bought a new burner alone works fine but with a huge pot which is 2 times the diameter it doesn't stand a chance

Can't you span the pot across two burners? The way I do it, it's 100% on the front burner and only half on the back burner, but it works.

That's what I tried last nite it worked well till it was about to boil then the smoke alarms went nuts

Hmmm... that's weird. Maybe there's some plastic deep in there somewhere. Maybe take everything off and look around with a flashlight?

I'd also imagine that eventually the smoke has to stop... it's not a thick black smoke is it? If it doesn't look too dangerous I'd try putting fans in my windows while burning off all the crap.

Have you looked under stove top? Usually it lifts up so the connectors can be replaced. You could have a ton of burnt crap under there.

You would probably want 2 heat sticks if you stopped using the burner. One 2000w stick will boil 7 gallons ok, but it will take a long time to get there. The heat stick plus the burner is plenty.

Around $18-25 depending on where you get parts. It also depends on what you have lying around.

This is the best DIY instructions I've found.

The problem with using two of them is that you need two separate GFCI 20 amp outlets. Most kitchens will have 2 of them, but they are usually on opposite walls IME. The heat stick draws around 15 amps IIRC.

I used to disconnect the smoke detector when I roasted coffee beans. Fortunately, I found a lighter roast was tastier and a lot less smoky.

If your stove doesn't have enough horses, you could just build one heatstick and use that to supplement your stove burner. Instead of high, turn the stove on 5 or 6 and boost it the rest of the way with the heatstick.

Back