Hydrometer reading for "inn keeper" not correct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbblakely

Reaction score
I started my first brew today. I chose to do Northern Brewery's Inn keepers ale. All went well until the "og" reading. It was off by .2. What would cause this? In the kit, it said that the og should be 1.043. At first we thought that maybe we took the reading at too warm of a temp. This assumption was correct. We consulted a temperature conversion table...we were then WAY off.

Help for a noob please.

It's not really a problem that your og is off from the target listed in the recipe. All this means is that there are more or less sugars in your wort than estimated.

Actually, it could be a problem if it's a ridiculous difference. Like it came out at 1.023 instead of 1.043. I assume you meant it was like 1.045 or 1.041, correct?

If it was "WAY OFF" maybe you didn't sufficantly mix your top off water with the wort. Assuming this was a partial boild extract kit and you don't think you did anything wrong.

Are you sure your final volume is correct?

I assume the recipe was for a 5gal. batch. Are you certain you didn't go over 5gal.?

Could this have to do with too much water??

We went too sure about how much sludge to leave behind after the boil.

You can check it if you want but your pretty much past the point of doing much about it. Have you checked the calibration of your hydro? Does it read 1.000 in plain water?

I'd stop checking and just let it go .. probably the water wasnt mixed in well .. it will be beer and you will be happy with it :D .. I think I may try that beer in the future .. the kit looks good .. good luck :)

Back