Finally making the jump to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The time has come.

I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, so it is high time for me to start kegging.

I've done massive amounts of research on the different vendors and still have not made any intelligent decision as to who I'm going to go with... some of the websites out there are just really poorly done.. lol

So anyway.. thought I'd share. I'm really kinda stoked the batches in the fermenter right now will be kegged..

:mug:

I'm just a little bit ahead of you there. I have one batch kegged (and bottled, split the batch) and am about to do the second batch during the week. I decided to split my batches between bottle and keg, for now, so that it will be easier to gift bottles. Plus, I'll be able to properly compare how the same brew tastes with either method.

I've been using a couple of major vendors for hardware. Keg Connection for the manifold and a lot of the fittings, tanks, etc. Rebel Brewer for my first 2.5 gallon keg (got three 3 gallon kegs, refurbished, for $90 each). Will probably end up using AHS for the MFT Bulkhead fitting to go through the fridge's side for the gas line. I was able to get one of the 20# tanks that a member was selling in the classified section (on HBT), so that will do me well.

Check out local paintball supply shops in your area. You can often get the 20oz CO2 tanks filled up pretty cheap (the one real close to me gets $5 per fill). They might be able to do the larger tanks too, if they have a compressor. Also look for fire extinguisher repair/supply shops in your area. There's one near where I'm working that fills a 5# tank for $10. Believe the 10# costs $12. I'll be finding out how much they charge for the 20# tank before mine arrives. :rockin: Should be in the $15-$20 range (same/less than other places swap 5# tanks for).

I will say, that after racking into my first 3 gallon keg, I really do see why people love it so much. Once I'm in a bigger place, and can get a keezer built, I'll be using 5 gallon kegs too. Or, I'll just keg the entire batch into a pair of 3 gallon, or one 3 and one 2.5 gallon keg. :rockin: :ban:

Next up, for me, is getting faucets in the fridge door. Looking at the 575SS model... :D

Curious about how it turned out, I live right near Houlton, and have been having a little difficulty filling my new CO2 tank, have my keezer ready, and two batches almost ready, could use any advice..

Do it and you'll never look back. I'm about to crack open the 1st of my 3rd kegging session. Can't wait. 20oz tanks will for fine for serving but won't last long if you force carb. 10# is the smallest I would go. Watch Craigslist for deals. I scored a 20# tank and guage for $20 and 8 cornies for $60.

Curious about how it turned out, I live right near Houlton, and have been having a little difficulty filling my new CO2 tank, have my keezer ready, and two batches almost ready, could use any advice..

I went with KegConnection. Had some initial issues with my order (not their fault), but I got my 2 keg setup yesterday.

I imagine we'd have to got to PI to get CO2 bottles filled..? Worst case, Bangor.. have you tried MPG or Stairs Welding?

Good to see another local here. :mug:

Advantage Gas & Tool is the closest place to do it. If you go to PI, they'll swap our your empty tank for a full one (like getting LP at Andy's or something).. to get our tanks filled, it's a trip to Bangor.

If you want, we could pick a day (SOON!) and carpool down... and hit Central Street FH while we're there... and maybe get a draft at Nocturnem with Ben.

Back