Quick glance at my water profile please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
I got this from the local water treatment manager after some fishing around...

Calcium &#8211; Range < readable limit &#8211; 6.0 mg/l
Magnesium - < readable limit
Sodium &#8211; 7.3 mg/l
Chloride &#8211; 6.0 mg/l
Sulfate &#8211; 5.3 mg/l
Ammonia &#8211; not tested
Nitrite - < readable limit
pH &#8211; Field Range 6.9 &#8211; 7.3
Hardness as CaCO3 &#8211; range 12.0mg/l &#8211; 18.0mg/l
Alkalinity as CaCO3- range 12.0 &#8211; 20.0mg/
Any result with a range is something that is tested frequently.

Using the calculators listed in the stickies (http://nomograph.babbrewers.com/) it looks as though my water is best suited for lighter colored beers. Am I correct? I realize that I'm inputting CaCO3 instead of HCO3 though.....

I'm not trying to get into making additions just yet but I want to know where I stand AS IS.

water.jpg

Oh yeah, that's some pretty soft water. Light colored beers will be no problem. You might need alkalinity if you're brewing dark beers. Chalk is not a reliable means of adding alkalinity. Lime and baking soda are more capable. Learn more with Bru'n Water. See the link in my signature line.

As is you are to be envied. That's great water because you can build it up easily for most anything you want. For most beers you will need to add some sort of acid to lower mash pH into the desirable range. You can look at the suggestions in the Primer in the stickies to get you started. Later you can get more sophisticated with calculators and spreadsheets if you want to.

Don't assume that there is a tight correlation between mineral content of brewing water and beer color. You can brew beers from the palest Kölschs to very dark stouts with the water you have. There is a chance with a very dark stout that you will need to add alkalinity (as opposed to acid with most beers) to keep pH in the right range. But don't consider doing that unless you have a pH meter reading that tells you it is necessary.

Where do you live and is that municipal or well water?

I live in Southern Westchester Co. NY. It's municipal water.

As for mash pH. Am I right in assuming I want to be around 5.2? I only say this b/c I've seen that pH stabilizer for sale all over.

I live in Southern Westchester Co. NY. It's municipal water.

As for mash pH. Am I right in assuming I want to be around 5.2? I only say this b/c I've seen that pH stabilizer for sale all over.

A mash pH of 5.2 is about the lowest you want to go. Around 5.5 is the highest. And don't mention 5.2 Stabilizer, it doesn't work as advertised.

A mash pH of 5.2 is about the lowest you want to go. Around 5.5 is the highest. And don't mention 5.2 Stabilizer, it doesn't work as advertised.

Ahhh, kinda like don't sprinkle dry yeast on top of wort. Got it.

Welp, looks like I'm gonna start tackling water chemistry now. One more thing to geek out on! Thanks all!

Back