No Chill Wit Help???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
I've been staring at the No Chill Hop Utilization Chart that The Pol put together and it makes sense to me for Hops, but does it apply to other volatile aromatics as well?

I usually add my coriander and orange peel into the Wit at about 5 minutes to go in the boil. On the No Chill chart this corresponds to dry hopping, is this dry hopping the primary, or the secondary, or even the no Chill container as it cools past a certain point?

Has anyone done a no chill Witbier?

Thanks in advance

Joe

I'd add it at the same time you normally do and see what happens. It's still going to make a good beer.

Oh, and post back to let us know the results! :mug:

My next brew is probably going to be a No-Chill Wit so I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience here.

My plan right now is to throw them in at the transfer from boil pot to pail. I figure that there's no isomerization that needs to go on like with bittering hops, just essential oil extraction that will likely need a bit of heat to work properly.

I'll keep you posted

Ian,
Paul and I have just put them in at 5 minutes and had good results. You could probably put them in as you drain into the no-chill vessel as an experiment too.

Mike

Maybe make a tea with them and add at bottling or during transfer to your fermenter/pitching time if you pitch in your no chill container.

But using them at normal hop times is probably fine.

Back