BOOM! I'm hit, sarge, I'm hit! ....wait, that was my FERMENTOR!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I kid you not, as I was sitting down to my pc to write a post about my 6th brew day, and how successful it was, how I felt like I was in control and had a good understanding of what I was doing and why I was doing it, how everything ran smoothly, and I didn't need to consult any last minute or emergency directions of fixes, I was feeling really good about things. I made a double starter out of two smack packs two days ago because I wanted to ensure that the strong extra stout would ferment as cleanly and fully as possible. I even hit my target gravity on the head for the first time! Nevermind the fact that I almost eliminated any lag-time, as the airlock started bubbling slowly within 3-hours.

Oh, and because that gravity was relatively high (1.073), I was aware that I might need a blowoff tube for the first time. But I was feeling really good bout this batch of beer......first full success......

....So I fastened together a blowoff by cramming my siphoning tube (all I had available yesterday) inside of the inner airlock shaft, as that was the only way I could join the two. This morning, early, I woke up and came downstairs and sat at my computer drinking coffee and reading some of the posts on this excellent forum site. MY fermentor sat 8 feet behind me on a makeshift shelf, squealing and spitting from a small spot at the lids edge, and farting and burping non-stop into the jug of sanitizer the tube was resting in. About 45 minutes ago, as I was laughing heartily about cops and neighbors and misunderstandings over brewing equipment, BOOM!!! gunfire!

the lid of my fermentor clattered to the ground, along with several itemsthat were resting on the makesift shelf near the fermentor, and my walls, ceiling, floor, are covered in beer vomit.

So, I quickly mixed up soem fresh sanitizer and washed the lid and tubing, and this time I placed the tube directly into the opening in the lid, thinking that the tiny spigot tip of the airlock is the most likely spot for a clog to occur. Now it sits, pushing foam and air through the tube furiously, as before. What I'm worried about is whether or not the tube can handle the blowoff.

I can't believe how powerful and violent the fermentation is. I'm forced to ask you all, what now? How many days should I continue to worry that my fermentor is going to blow up again, and is there something better I could rig to ensure it doesn't. right now it's taking turns getting slightly backed up with foam and then bursting out with a flurry of bubbles all at once,which in turn seems to suck the next bit of clogging foam into the tube. wtf, guys and gals?

um...what??? SOrry but some of us can't read large blocks of dense texts. As we get older our exyes aren't so good.

It's really helpful if you leave a blank line/white space between each paragraph...

So, I quickly mixed up soem fresh sanitizer and washed the lid and tubing, and this time I placed the tube directly into the opening in the lid, thinking that the tiny spigot tip of the airlock is the most likely spot for a clog to occur. Now it sits, pushing foam and air through the tube furiously, as before. What I'm worried about is whether or not the tube can handle the blowoff.

Take a hacksaw to the end of the airlock (the little cross-piece); this is likely the point of clog.

What is your fermentation temperature? The violent fermentation could mean you are fermenting slightly too warm, so that may be something to consider.

As far as what to do, set the fermenter into a plastic bin and don't snap the lid down tight. Just set it on top. This will allow the krausen to spill out if necessary and the mess is contained. After fermentation slows, snap it down.

worthless.gif

There is a blow off tube that works rather well. It is made from 3/4" PVC tubing and then a small piece of Tygon that fits in the bottle, kinda looks like a hangmans pole. The other suggestion is to get a bigger bottle or bucket.

You're right; the small opening of the airlock is usually the culprit. Options:

Take the airlock out and stick the hose into the grommet. I usually do this for the first 2 days and replace with a sanitized airlock.

-or-

Take the airlock out and replace with a freshly laundered towel formed around the grommet. When the vigorous ferment subsides, replace with a sanitized airlock.

With positive airflow during this time, you're pretty safe from critters.

^^^^^^Spaced apropriately for Revvy's consideration. :D

um...what??? SOrry but some of us can't read large blocks of dense texts. As we get older our exyes aren't so good.

It's really helpful if you leave a blank line/white space between each paragraph...

Actually, it does appear that way on my screen. I put spaces between the paragraphs. I apologize for the verbose text. I have a bad habit of overdoing it.....:eek:

Congrats!

I think a 5/8"s tube fits over that post. Not a huge size difference, but along with flyangler18 suggested modification, you might survive the next onslaught.

Take a hacksaw to the end of the airlock (the little cross-piece); this is likely the point of clog.

What is your fermentation temperature? The violent fermentation could mean you are fermenting slightly too warm, so that may be something to consider.

As far as what to do, set the fermenter into a plastic bin and don't snap the lid down tight. Just set it on top. This will allow the krausen to spill out if necessary and the mess is contained. After fermentation slows, snap it down.

this sounds like a good I dea. I considered just setting the lid on there. the problem is, I have little children, and I have to work a 16 hour shift tonight, so chances are good they'd get into it (my 2 year old, especially).
my temp has been between 66-68,but I am going to turn it down and see if that helps. thanks.

Actually, it does appear that way on my screen. I put spaces between the paragraphs. I apologize for the verbose text. I have a bad habit of overdoing it.....:eek:

No problem...it looked to have the potential to being quite an amusing an well written story, but looked just like a big gray rectangle...now I can go back and enjoy it. :mug:

Congrats!

I think a 5/8"s tube fits over that post. Not a huge size difference, but along with flyangler18 suggested modification, you might survive the next onslaught.

I tried my damndest, really. messed around with it for 20 minutes trying to get it over the tube. maybe I have a smaller gauge tube....maybe that's part of the problem, too. :confused:

I just used a pair of needlenose pliers to break the cross thing off the end. Not as sophisticated as a hacksaw, but seemed to work for me.

There is a blow off tube that works rather well. It is made from 3/4" PVC tubing and then a small piece of Tygon that fits in the bottle, kinda looks like a hangmans pole. The other suggestion is to get a bigger bottle or bucket.

A bigger bottle or bucket isnt the solution... I have had blow offs in a 6.5 gallon carboy. So what would I upgrade to for a 5 gallon batch? If you cut off the little "cross hair" thing on the bottom of the airlock, you will be fine.

I also cut off the crosshairs at the bottom of my airlocks, not needed anyway.

What is your fermentation temp for this? I usually ferment at the bottom of the yeast's range and I've never had a blowoff.

bottling/racking tube in the lid grommet works fine. Ask me how I know. I dare ya. :lol:

well, after eliminating the airlock altogether and just putting the tube straight into the grommet in the lid only to have the lid BLOW OFF asecond time with a second fantastical "BOOM", I have decided that 5.75 gallons of high gravity wort, when combined with a vigorous healthy yeast supply in a 6.5 gallon vessel, are just not meant to be contained....period!

my new plan of action: The bucket is resting in my office closet now, on top of a towel, with the lid resting loosely over the top and another towel soaked in sanitizer draped over the whole operation. I'll check on it in the morning, and if the lid is on or near the rim of the pot, I'll probably try to seal it and place a fresh airlock. what do you guys think? something better I could do?

You should buy yourself a bucket lid that has a spout, like comes on a 5 gal. bucket of paint. Find the biggest hose you can possibly squeeze down into the hole with a good seal. This should give you plenty of room and pressure relief to keep you from blowing your lid. I think the ID of your hose is too small for that particular wort. You must have some really thick, serious krausen to plug up that hose enough to blow the lid off, if your buckets are like mine those things are freaking hard to get off there! I think the larger diameter hose is all you need.

You should buy yourself a bucket lid that has a spout, like comes on a 5 gal. bucket of paint. Find the biggest hose you can possibly squeeze down into the hole with a good seal. This should give you plenty of room and pressure relief to keep you from blowing your lid. I think the ID of your hose is too small for that particular wort. You must have some really thick, serious krausen to plug up that hose enough to blow the lid off, if your buckets are like mine those things are freaking hard to get off there! I think the larger diameter hose is all you need.

I totally agree. In fact, I went to my crappy LHBS today and picked up a 1/2in. diameter hose - the largest they freakin carry for some reason. - and busted apart an airlock to fashion a slightly larger blowoff hose. I'm leaving it locked in the closet so that if it blows while I'm at work I can deal with it in the morning.
I think I have a combination of factors at work here.
1. The weather just happened to warm up about 15-20 degrees yesterday, so my usual fermentation room went up about 4-5 degrees (to 68-70). Hopefully the closet with the door closed will bring it down a couple of degrees.
2. I had to add a little extra water to the wort to bring the gravity down to target (1.073). This means my 6.5 gallon bucket contains 5.75-6.00 gallons. THat's not that much room for krausen and Co2.
3. My original blowoff hose was a miserable 1/4 or 1/3in. diameter...way too small.

I'm forced to ask you all, what now? How many days should I continue to worry that my fermentor is going to blow up again, .. wtf, guys and gals?

Good worrying never goes to waste. And congrats on the billions and billions and billions of baby yeasts. Each one looks just like its dad. (awww)

Generally the more furious the ferment, the shorter it is. YMMV

Ain't all this beer makin' funner'n hell?
(No spell checkers/grammatical checkers were injured in the making of this stoopid comment)

When I make a batch, that is most likely to need a blow off, I use my 6.5 gal carboy with, I believe, a 1 inch ID hose stuck directly in the neck. Just find a hose that fits snugly into the neck of the carboy. :mug:

I have rubber molded stoppers with a nipple down inside that holds a much larger ID hose than the airlock that I use in my 6G BB carboy. It is hard to describe if you don't know what I am talking about.

This setup has never clogged on me.

We never did see any pictures of this mess.

yeah, sorry. My wife and I decided we could play toss with our digital camera when we were out kayaking in early september. We forgot that waterproof doesn't mean bouyant....whoops!

Revvy, try holding shift, then while holding shift press +

That may help with large blocks of text.

Hit - if you want to take it back down.

Yet another reason to never clamp the lid down. It's not necessary, it's not worth it, it's too big a PITA.

My method - and I've never had an infection, not once - uses a square sheet of 1/4" clear plexiglas big enough to cover the mouth of the bucket with 1" overlap. This replaces the bucket's lid. Sanitize the plexiglas, cover the bucket. If the ferment is vigorous enough to burp out over the side, no big deal. Spray it off and leave it alone.

Two pluses to this method: You can see the ferment, so you're not tempted to muck about opening the lid to look; and no "boom" potential.

A minus: Mess potential. I usually sit the bucket in a rolled-down plastic trash bag. That way, if it burps the mess is contained for easy cleanup. Although I've only ever had a couple of foamy messes.

Most LHBSs carry wine fermenters which are 7.9 US gallons. Perhaps you might consider those.

Cheers!

Bob

P.S. Skyler - in Firefox it's CTL+ or CTL- just an FYI!

Back