hurricane IKE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Got some hops and grain and decided to brew a hop MONSTER named after the hurricane that will soon be right over my head...

11# pale
1# munich
.75# crystal 60L

Pre-wort hop 2 oz Centennial
60 min 1 oz Warrior
30 min 1 oz Centennial
15 min 1 oz Cascade
5 min 1 oz Cascade

Dry Hop 1 oz Cascade

Didn't hit my gravity (not even close), I am a bit upset, should have done a 90 min boil. Live and learn.

OG- 1.044

Is this gravity even IPA quality, or do I just have a very very hopy pale ale?

I know to many this brew may be intolerable to the weak but that was my goal.

I was more around 5.75 gallons at the end, I should have boiled off but I was already chilling the brew

well put the recipe through PROMASH and recipator and I may have overdone it, 167 IBU's. I will soon meet the creature I created...

Well I ended up with the exact same OG a couple weeks ago with a few pounds less grain. I also am about to dry hop with 1 oz of amarillo, this will be the 4th oz total for the beer so Ill end up with some serious ibu's too. I have recently been on a hop kick so I aint worried, should be some dont f with me beer!!!

Man seriously....Ike was a let down for CC (sorry to all of those in the Galveston/Houston area)

Well, seems to me like you might want to blend this bad boy.....since you keg what if you brewed up a weakly hopped beer....blended....then came out with 2 kegs of nicely hopped beer? Or, you could....maybe....add some boiled and cooled dme-wort?

Back