Cold-crashing wort -- any issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
Long time no post.... I tried 'The Google' but it didn't give me any info.

I brewed a pilsner on Monday but when it came time to pitch, my starter smelled off so I tossed it and started over. So the wort has been sitting @ 33°F since brewing (~36 hours) and I plan to pitch the new starter when I get home. So basically the wort has cold-crashed and there is a 3-4 inch layer of trub at the bottom and I need a little extra headspace -- so is there any downside to racking the wort off the trub before pitching?

Thanks in advance.

Shouldnt really be any issues, as long as everything is sanitary. Having the wort at 33 degrees has helped keep any nasties from taking over for the past couple days.

Obviously, this isn't an ideal situation but so long as you're hear I don't see why you couldn't rack it. Not sure how necessary it is and it does increase risk but it could be done.

As kpr121 said, as long as you previously had a sanitary transfer, you should be good. The process of transferring a 2nd time might actually help with oxygenating the wort.

Yea that's what I was thinking. I was just worried the heavier/more complex sugars would have dropped out also and lower the FG. But apparently I'm just paranoid :D

Yea that's what I was thinking. I was just worried the heavier/more complex sugars would have dropped out also and lower the FG. But apparently I'm just paranoid :D

Sugar is soluble in water (at 2000 g/L at 25 °C). In other words, the sugar (the solute) has dissolved in the water (the solvent) to form a solution, so you should not worry about it "dropping out."

Back