Most hops you've ever used

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I have a bunch of hops that I should use up... what is the craziest you've ever gotten with the amount of hops you've added to a beer?

I'm thinking about doing some off the wall this week.

Not exactly crazy,but I used 6oz of hops in my IPA. The aussies on the cooper's forums thought me totally mad & foolish,to be polite. Then some of them came up here on brewcations & learned I'm not all that nuts after all. But the hops on my next Burton excursion are def gunna double at least.

Holy ****e.... that is crazy... so 1 lb of dif. hops or what was the break down? and I thought the 4 oz on my black IPA were a lot.

I've used a pound ...one beer I've made calls for 5 oz at flameout and 5 oz dry hop. My wet hop ale uses 40 oz for 5 gallons

I used 14 oz of hops in 2012's Helen Keller, my annual IIPA that features ~100 theoretical IBUs. That's for a 6 gallon batch. The cost effectiveness dictates its limited brewing ;-)

23oz for my DIPA. 13 in the boil and 10 for dry hopping. 10G batch. outstanding beer!

18oz in an IIPA I just kegged. 6oz in the boil, 5 oz in the whirlpool and 7oz in the dry hop for a 5 gallon batch. Mostly 7-Cs and Apollo. Tastes awesome.

My Black IPA is sitting at 82 IBU... looking forward to having it tonight... I have yet to dry hop anything. Mine has all been boil and then some late additions.

What is the great benefit to dry hopping? Just a more intense and fresh hop smell and taste

I just added my first dry hop on a IIPA (based on scottland's double jack clone) with just under 16 oz in 6 gallons: 5 oz boil, 5 oz whirlpool and 5.5 oz on a multipart dry hop.

8 oz in a 3 gallon batch, which equates to 13.3 oz for a 5 gallon. It's drying hopping right now. Black ipa.

A guy I know dry-hopped a 15G batch with 3 or 4 lbs of fresh hops, plus whatever he put in the boil. Maybe the best beer I ever had, so hop-oily it was sticky and sweet. I think my personal high is a little under a lb for 5 gallons.

Back