The South American Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamSlayer

Reaction score
What's good? What/how much do you usually purchase? Can you get these grapes in your area?

I have plans to do a batch or two this year (my first from whole grapes) and would love advise on good types, techniques for spotting good fruit during purchase, etc!

WilliamSlayer said:
What's good? What/how much do you usually purchase? Can you get these grapes in your area?

I have plans to do a batch or two this year (my first from whole grapes) and would love advise on good types, techniques for spotting good fruit during purchase, etc!

I have purchased pails of Chilean juice last April, plan to again this year. The same brew store also brings in grapes, but I have never purchased those. The juice was very good, I might add!

From buying California grapes in Ohio, I taste the grapes. Not sure what else to say other than if you don't think you'd eat it, don't make wine from it....

I've also used juice. My LHBS carrys juice from Europe (france, italy, germany) but does not bring in anything during the spring from the Southern Hemisphere harvest. I have yet to go all the way from vine to glass, so that's a goal I've set for myself this year.

I plan to purchase from a large local supplier where you go and look/taste then select. But, I've never done that before. I'm hoping the Forum can give me a bit of advise as to what I should be looking for, and what should be paying for it! Help! :)

WilliamSlayer said:
Favorite grape varieties from South America anyone?

The juice varieties I liked from Chile are Sauvignon Blanc and Syrah.

The juice varieties I liked from Chile are Sauvignon Blanc and Syrah.

Do the SA sauvignon blanc wines come out 'grassy'? Not a fan of 'grassy' tasting wines myself. I can't recall ever having tried Sav Blanc from South America...

Back