What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not an engineer (quantitative anthropologist), but I like to think that every brewer is an engineer. Just a little. With a hat.

Then again, my maternal grandfather was an engineer at Bell Labs so that basically makes me one. Proof: I fit all of my stuff into very small pieces of luggage when I travel -- even on long trips.

If you got a degree in engineering or operate a train, you can call yourself an engineer.

Very true.
If you are an actual engineer you will have an engineering license that you took an engineering test to get.
Your licence will be governed by your states board of registration and under a separate branch with a board of registration that has engineers and surveyors on it ( usually about a two to one ratio favoring engineers ).
You will have special laws and administrative code that govern your actions and ethical behavior.

Absolutely NOT true...not all Engineers are Licensed...does not mean they are not an engineer. If you come out of college with an engineering degree and work for a company as an engineer...then you ARE an engineer.

There are even some engineers (not many)....mostly old timers...that do not even have degrees....but VERY far and few between.

A P.E. (Professional Engineer) is an engineer that has worked a minimum number of years under another P.E. (usually 4 years) and passed the National Board Exam.....most engineers do not need this to do their job....or to work as an engineer.

I work for a Consulting Engineering Firm and I am a Licensed P.E......and it is very valuable (to me and my employer) and practical to be licensed as a Consultant because it allows me to Stamp Drawings that Require a Professional Engineer to certify.

45_70sharps said:
Actually yes I am saying they aren't engineers if they are not licensed.
Working in engineering, doing the work for an engineer, having an engineering degree or introducing yourself as an engineer does not make you an actual engineer.
Passing your exam and being board certified, with your license number and stamp makes you an engineer.

Those people working on design for NASA are probably working under an engineer who supervise, directs, reviews and stamps the work. He is also liable for the design.

For the record, I'm not an engineer.
I'm a land surveyor.
Same board that regulates, different profession.

The fact that they aren't engineers doesn't make their work any less important or make them less intelligent. I for one went a very long time before I took my exam and got my survey license. I was happy doing the work in the field and never saw the need to take the exam until an opportunity presented it's self and I needed my license.

Many of the fields that call them self engineers and aren't actual engineers are full of very smart people who figure out complex problems. It still doesn't change the fact that they aren't actual engineers.
Every state has a board of registration, probably a branch of department of licensing and the board is probably made up of engineers and surveyors. They oversee actual engineers ( and surveyors ) and on their web site you will find the true and legal definition of an engineer. It will be very close to the same in every state.

I would have to disagree with this. I am an electrical engineer and if what you are saying we're true the company I work for doesn't employ any engineers. Only state engineering jobs require a license. I design integrated circuits and I am liable for my own designs. In my field a degree and experience make an engineer. Not some state issued piece of paper.

Theatre Producer and Director. I spent so many years as an actor drinking beer, I felt I needed to give back to the universe.

Not an engineer. If a descriptor was created for my actual job, I'd make a lot more money. ;) I'm a supervisor in a workshop for the disabled.

Started in engineering school, calculus kicked my arse. Civil Engineering Technician now. (AutoCAD Civil3D and ArcGIS)

Ugh. How many engineers can dance on the head of a pin? Who cares, as long as all those engineers can obsess about who has what credentials. :eek:

I'm just gonna keep brewing. Who cares about all that other shyte?

Started in engineering school, calculus kicked my arse. Civil Engineering Technician now. (AutoCAD Civil3D and ArcGIS)

Speaking as someone who has to use autocad but has normally got a drafter or two working in the office to make my work pretty, I can say that the guy in the office who is good at CAD is well respected and a life saver very often.
I've made it a point in my career to not have a need to be good at CAD. It's like having to learn a whole second profession to be good at it.

Recently with the office being much smaller due to the economy, I've had to do a lot more drafting.
It is a challenge trying to do production drafting for me.
Of course I started off with paper and a T square, then graduated to a drafting arm.

I don't know if you get the sense in your office or not, but if you are good with AutoCAD and able to keep up with the updates, you are a key player in the office.

Ohio State '08 FABE (Food, Agricultural, Biological Engineering)

We actually brewed beer for a bioprocessing class. GO BUCKS!

Ugh. How many engineers can dance on the head of a pin? Who cares, as long as all those engineers can obsess about who has what credentials. :eek:

I'm not obsessing about my credentials, just defending them. It's my career, and I'm pretty passionate about it. I enjoy what I do, I've worked very hard to get here and I'm quite proud of it. And I'm sure 45_70sharps meant no harm, but it is quite insulting to be told that I'm a technician, not an engineer, after I've gone to school for 6 years, earned two degrees, wrote a thesis, published a paper, been named on a couple patents, etc.

I noticed a lot of people are like "not an engineer, but my dad was." Or my "girlfriend is a chem engineer" I have a very serious question as I am now very concerned reading this... I may have slept with an engineer once(well she hadn't graduated yet so maybe I am safe?) is BSE communicable??? Should i get tested?

is BSE communicable??? Should i get tested?

Absolutely. Before you know it you'll be thinking in a very practical manner, you'll suddenly be thinking in mass/energy balances, and your favorite word will be "efficiency."

To prevent this, sleep with a liberal arts major before it's too late.

Not an engineer. Was a middle school teacher and school administrator in Boston Public and Newark Public.

Now I work for a non-profit helping schools in low income communities use data and standards based instruction to help kids make breakthrough growth. (on a day to day I manage a team of 12 data analysts)

I'm not obsessing about my credentials, just defending them. It's my career, and I'm pretty passionate about it. I enjoy what I do, I've worked very hard to get here and I'm quite proud of it. And I'm sure 45_70sharps meant no harm, but it is quite insulting to be told that I'm a technician, not an engineer, after I've gone to school for 6 years, earned two degrees, wrote a thesis, published a paper, been named on a couple patents, etc.

Agree on that! :)

Just like Dr. Evil's point of view where he exclaimed "I didn't go through 8-years of Evil Medical School to be called Mister!".....:mug:

Well this was some time ago. Can it lie dormant? How soon after the event would I show symptoms? If I find out it is too late l, and I have contracted BSE.. On a scale of common clap to herpes, how hard is it to get rid of?

I spent the majority of my life as a dairy farmer, I considered myself a Mammary Engineer...........

Well this was some time ago. Can it lie dormant? How soon after the event would I show symptoms? If I find out it is too late l, and I have contracted BSE.. On a scale of common clap to herpes, how hard is it to get rid of?

Your screwed man...

and that reminded me of this...
Picture-10.png

And therefor the acid test of if you are an professional engineer is if you find Dilbert funny :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've worked with almost all of the Dilbert characters at one time or another.
Another test for "engineerness" is if you like "Office Space". SWMBO thinks it's the dumbest movie ever; all the engineers I know love it.

Camping57 said:
Another test for "engineerness" is if you like "Office Space". SWMBO thinks it's the dumbest movie ever; all the engineers I know love it.

I am sure that statement could be be made by any man in any profession. Office Space crosses all professions, just not all genitalia.

-TH- said:
I have this feeling that a large percentage of homebrewers are engineers. I was just wondering how large.

'92 BSME from Mich Tech U.

Graphic designer.

Back