Irish Moss to Clear Up Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GioGomez2010

Reaction score
I I used Irish Moss for the first time on my last batch and Jesus was that beer clear. I poured it an couldn't believe how clear it was! I could see straight through the glass and see the dishes sitting in the cupboard in the other side! If you haven't already, I suggest you use it for enhanced clarity in beer. My other batches have been decent clarity wise but the I M really helps.

It is a very popular fining agent. Doesn't produce near as much cold break trub as whirlfloc. How much I'M did you use for what batch size?

I used 1 teaspoon, maybe a little bit over a teaspoon for a 5 gallon. Do you use a different amount?

Can you add Irish moss during fermentation or can you only add during the boil? Never used before.

I typically use two big pinches of flakes for five gallons. I'm likely to stop using whirlfloc soon, as the cold break production is huge (using 1 whole tablet). I have seen the same clarity in both techniques at 21 days of cold keg storage.

Can you add Irish moss during fermentation or can you only add during the boil? Never used before.

It only helps with the cold break, so post boil it won't do anything.

I typically add mine in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil. I have had clear beer without it though. I also usually add one teaspoon for my 6.75-7 gallons into primary batches. Obviously, I add more for larger batches. :ban:

As said above, Irish Moss only works near the end of the boil. If you have a cloudy beer after fermentation, your clarifying options are isinglass and gelatin. Of those two, I've only used gelatin, and I've found it works wonderfully. A quick forum search will provide lots of useful info on that.

Aha! I'm glad I found this thread. I used a whirlfloc tablet for the first time in my last beer and I couldn't believe how much trub I had. It was a new recipe so I wasn't sure what was the cause. Wish I would have known this sooner as I just bottled today and ended up siphoning a bunch of trub into my bottling bucket because I had sunk the siphon too low for how much trub I had. Totally sucked because I ended up losing a few bottles because it clogged my bottling wand near the end. :(

Aha! I'm glad I found this thread. I used a whirlfloc tablet for the first time in my last beer and I couldn't believe how much trub I had. It was a new recipe so I wasn't sure what was the cause. Wish I would have known this sooner as I just bottled today and ended up siphoning a bunch of trub into my bottling bucket because I had sunk the siphon too low for how much trub I had. Totally sucked because I ended up losing a few bottles because it clogged my bottling wand near the end. :(

Invest the 3$ in a racking cane, well worth it.

I was using an auto siphon, so the racking cane was built into it. I marked the side of my auto siphon with a sharpie to indicate about how low I can go and still stay above the trub (since I use a pail and can't see the trub in a full 5 gallons). The mark was based on past experience as my earlier beers all had about the same amount of trub in 5 gallons. The whirlfloc created so much trub tho that my marking was off. That was my problem, not that I wasn't using a racking cane.

I've used Irish moss on all my brews except my last all grain IPA.

While it cleared well anyway, it was noticeably less clear than when I used the Irish Moss, which resulted in a really crystal clear beer.

0202 said:
I've used Irish moss on all my brews except my last all grain IPA.

While it cleared well anyway, it was noticeably less clear than when I used the Irish Moss, which resulted in a really crystal clear beer.

I just used it as I said in my OP and I couldn't believe how clear it was! I've never had beer I've made be this clear so I loved it! Definitely gonna be a staple of all my brews.

Latest posts

Back