ALL US GROUP BUYS - Payment Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand9066

Reaction score
Hi all,

I headed the Pittsburgh Area Group buy 2. Our primary payment method was paypal. As most of us know you can receive payment as a gift and not be charged. Most payed me by doing so and Paypal flagged and shut down my personal payment options. I complained and got that opened back up but they said that I can't use that option for doing the grain buy. Check out pg 37 of the pitt group buy 2 for the email I received.

With that said I have been searching for a money transfer service and I found one that I believe we can all use and not be raped by fees. DWOLLA

Dwolla is free to sign up and like paypal in that you link your bank account to add funds and send money to people. Instead of the 3+% and $0.40 transaction fee Paypal steals from us Dwolla only charges $0.25 per transaction over $10.00. Thats it!!

This should make it simple for the organizer to collect money in full. All member just add $0.25 to you grain purchase and your good.

Well hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dand9066

Its a similar service to paypal. Click the link in my original post which is the large "DWOLLA".

It sounds really cool but a business has to make money somehow. Now transferring money internally is free but from the banks to Dwolla may cost something and that could be alot. Also how long does it take for the money to be transferred? How do they make money?

I take 3-4 days to transfer money from bank to dwolla or dwolla to bank. They have a feature called instant that they charge a monthly fee for.

With instant i could initiate a transfer of $100 from my bank to dwolla and they would make the money available to use instantly to transfer.

It has its advantages and disadvantages.

Back